Chapter 1

"Cloudsound, did you get any prey?" The white tom that had stalked up towards Raincloud was skinnier than him. "No, it's all disappeared!" Raincloud looked around.

"Where's Stormfall? Was she with you?" Stormfall was a light gray she cat and a very good friend.
"No, should we look for her?"
Cloudsound took a few steps and sniffed the air. "Nothing."

The look in Raincloud's eyes must have been desperate because Cloudsound had started searching after he had looked at him. There had been a badger in ThunderClan territory that had taken a life from Finchstar and Duskhollow's apprentice Runningpaw, one of Daisyheart's patrols had scared it into RiverClan territory. If the badger had hurt Stormfall, he wouldn't forgive himself.

"Stormfall!" Raincloud's voice drifted through the thick air. A few more calls later, Stormfall replied, "I'm right here! Come quick!" Raincloud turned tail and headed towards the voice, Cloudsound following. Stormfall stood near the edge of the overflowing river peering down into the gorge a few fox lengths away. Her eyes were huge, Raincloud followed her gaze. He gasped in horror as he saw a badger attacking a group of kits, nearly pushing them and clawing them to their death.

"We have to help them," Cloudsound went to speak, being cut off, Stormfall continued, "the Warrior Code says so." Cloudsound looked at the helpless kits. "I suppose,"

Raincloud started to figure out a way to cross to help the kits. "We shouldn't use the stepping stones, too slippery." He said as Stormfall was about to make a jump. "Then how do we get across?" Stormfall was getting impatient, flexing her long claws. "Look, there, a bridge, we can cross that!" Raincloud pointed his tail at the wooden frame.

Stormfall, Cloudsound, and him had crossed without a hassle. The frame wobbled a bit under their weight. The screeches and screams of help from the kits grew louder, the badger getting them closer to the edge. "Hurry!" Cloudsound yowled, racing towards the kits.

Raincloud leaped onto the badger's back, clawing at it's eyes. "Get the kits!" He screeched. Cloudsound picked up the closet kit, Stormfall picking up another. Cloudsound dragged two of the kits into a hidden reed, the other kit trying to run from the badger. It rolled and tussled, scratching at him. He slid off, nearly falling into the river. He got back onto his paws, checking out his wounds. A long scratch across his flank, under his belly, and to his other flank. Prickleface will have to get a good look at that. He jumped forward and scratched the badger's nose.

He raked his claws down the badger's spine. Stormfall came to help, scratching at it's eyes. Raincloud leaped back and hissed, "Squirrel-brain get away from those kits!"

Cloudsound grabbed the other kit and brought it to safety.

"Push it into the gorge!" Raincloud yowled. Stormfall and Raincloud rolled the badger closer to the river, but it kept fighting back. It slashed at his muzzle, not missing. The pain stung like a bee. He kept pushing the badger. The reek of fish grew stronger. A Riverclan patrol had come, finally. Together, they pushed the badger into the gorge with a loud splash.
"What's happened here?" The sleek furred patrol from the reeds questioned with hostility. Raincloud recognized Ottertail and his apprentice Swimpaw, and the RiverClan deputy Tigersplash. "Saving your kits!" Cloudsound hissed, stopping to speak from licking his wounds. Ottertail curled his lip in a snarl.
"You should be thankful. They would have drowned if it weren't for them." Another figure appeared from the reeds, it was Reedstar, the RiverClan leader. "Would you rather have your kits die, Tigersplash?"

Tigersplash said nothing. What a great leader he'll be, I'm glad I'm not in his Clan!

"Grab the kits, we're going home." Tigersplash picked up the first kit, giving one last glare at Raincloud. What thorn woke him? Reedstar grabbed the kit he had saved, dipping his toward the ThunderClan cats. "Thank you, RiverClan is in your debt." He rumbled through the mewling kit's fur.

Ottertail picked up the last kit, flicking his tail.

"We should head to camp, Finchstar will want to hear about this." Raincloud meowed after the RiverClan patrol had disappeared. They arrived at the camp, soaked fur from blood and water. Scars ran across each of them like a tiger's stripes.

"What's happened?" Yowlpaw had been sharing prey with Cloverpaw by the apprentices den. Yowlpaw looked at his mentor in shock. "Did a badger attack you?" Yowlpaw said with disbelief.

"Yes." Stormfall answered for Cloudsound.
The apprentice's eyes widened.

"You need to go see Prickleface, right now!" His sister Flywing had started to lick his wounds.
"I'll go, come on, Stormfall. You too, Cloudsound. You got a pretty bad scratch on your belly." The Clan had fussed over them, and Prickleface nearly cuffed their ears off for it.

"Mouse-brains! You warriors think your so tough, eh?" Prickleface started to apply a stinging green poultice onto Raincloud's fur.
"No, Stormfall just thinks we can save every cat from here to Highstones." Cloudsound grumbled under his breath while Rainpaw chewed some leaves.
"No patrols for a few dawns, all of you." We headed out to the clearing where the clan lay around buzzing with gossip from the last gathering.

"Did you hear? Ripplestar died!"

"Will our clan be alright? What about my kits? Will ShadowClan attack after this? Even worse, will the badger swim out of the river!?" Hazeleyes wrapped her tail around her kits protectively.

"The kits will be fine, especially since the badger fell into the river!" Daisyheart snorted.

Swiftkit, Leopardkit and their brother Clawkit started to chase a leaf in the wind, calling it names like 'Fox dung badger! Mouse Brain! You can't hurt me! Etc.'

"Hey, watch it! Don't disturb Finchstar!" Flywing protested as her own kits started climbing the Highrock. "I'll get them." He mewed, Flywing sighed with relief. He reached where his sister's kits Duckkit and Treekit were slowly climbing.

"Trying to be like Finchstar?" Raincloud cuffed their ears with a sheathed paw. "Hey! Can we have a badger ride?" Duckkit and Treekit looked up pleadingly. "I suppose, but you better hang on!" Raincloud crouched so the kits could get on his back. Their tiny claws hurt his wounded back. He shifted down to the clearing, crouching down after. "Aww, can we do it again?" Treekit pleaded.

"No, he's not in a good condition, he needs to rest. Prickleface's orders." Rainpaw looked at the kits in admiration, he was a wise, young tom. He'll make a great medicine cat one day. The kits scampered away to attack Poppystep's fluffy tail.

"They're doing pretty well. They haven't very seemed upset since Poppykit's death." Rainpaw had been the first cat since to mention what happened to Poppykit. The poor thing had gotten sick from greencough, as did Whiskertail, but Whiskertail survived. Raincloud nodded, padding away to greet Stormfall to get out of the discussion. Daisyheart stopped talking with her to go to Finchstar's den as the leader signaled for her.

"I wonder how long it'll take to get back on patrols?" Stormfall looked at the patrol Birchbark, Flywing's mate, was leading out of camp with Rollthump, Petalear, and Mapleshade.

"I don't know. I just hope it's soon." Raincloud tried to sound confident, but he knew she could tell his doubts.

Finchstar appeared at the top of the Highrock. Cats came and sat at the bottom of it, whispering. Raincloud and Stormfall sat in the back by the elders, Whiskertail, Poppystep, and Frosttree. Flywing sat near the nursery, hushing her kits so she could listen.
Birchbark's patrol started for the fresh kill pile to find a skinny piece of prey. For now, the only prey on the pile was a small vole, and a mouse.

Daisyheart sat in her place as deputy, looking glum and staring at her paws.

"I've called you all here for a reason," Finchstar began.

Mwahahahaha. Don't you love cliff hangers? I do! Well, when I'm writing anyway, tell me what you think Finchstar will say! How is my writing? Don't feel bad to upset me, I just want the truth. Don't forget to vote, comment, and share! First chapter, updated! I'll update every time I complete another chapter. :)