Chapter 8

(Finally, honestly, I was getting sick of the number seven!) I've been thinking, I'm gonna do a sneak peek for every chapter. It'll be at the beginning of each, and it will have a quote from the chapter. I did this in the ShadowClan battle chap to see if it worked. This chapter might be a little short because the last was so long.

"Wait! I'm coming with!" A sudden voice cried. Raincloud turned back to see two young cats. "See? Raincloud, I told you I'd come with you!"
Cute, huh? You'll see... Mwahaha, ha!

-------------- -------------- -------------- -------------

Raincloud's P.O.V.

"Raincloud! Will you come with me on a hunting patrol?" Raincloud turned his head to see Stormfall, Yowlpaw, and Birchbark padding towards him. "As soon as I bring this mouse to Flywing." He answered.

He padded back empty pawed. "Where should we hunt?" He asked.

"You're in charge." Birchbark answered.
Me, in charge? Why am I in charge? Birchbark is older!
Raincloud let out a sigh. "We should let Yowlpaw, he's old enough, even though he hasn't gotten his warrior name, he's still fit for the task." He responded smoothly. Please work, please...

"I agree, he's very capable." Stormfall inquired.
Yowlpaw started to lick his chest fur in embarrassment. "You'll do fine." Birchbark murmured to his son. I wish I could have kits one day, he sighed, glancing at a clueless Stormfall.

"Uh, what now?" Yowlpaw asked, looking up at Birchbark. "You lead us to where you think there might be good hunting." He mewed. Yowlpaw seemed anxious.

~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~

Yowlpaw's P.O.V.

"Hey, your not doing as bad as your mother did! She lead us towards Snakerocks, and I had to push her out of the way when an adder tried to bite her!" Raincloud didn't help. We aren't going to hunt over there!
He lead them towards the WindClan border and Fourtrees. There should be good prey, there, right? That is where the owl hunts...

"We're here." He mewed after a short trek through the forest that felt like seasons. Stormfall and Raincloud shared a small glance. Was he doing something wrong? "Yowlpaw, how should we hunt?" His father questioned. Stupid furball! You forgot to tell them! "Uh, hunt alone, so we can catch more prey." He stuttered.

The three warriors nodded and disappeared into the undergrowth.

Yowlpaw started to head for his old hiding spot in the low tree. I wonder if its still there?
He scented a mouse, so he began to stalk it. It is why I'm here, he thought as he pounced. He had to catch something, what kind of patrol leader came back empty pawed? He buried his mouse and began to walk towards the Owl Tree again.

"Don't. Move." He heard someone whisper. He turned around slowly to see Birchbark. Then he noticed a vole nibbling on some roots. He quietly hid behind a berry bush to let his father kill the prey. Birchbark leaped, but missed by a claw when the vole darted away. Instead of trying to find new prey, Birchbark raced after it. Wow, my father's as fast as a WindClan cat! Birchbark's long legs stretched until he leaped.
His father came back with a vole in his jaws. "Nice catch!" He exclaimed.
He noticed his father seemed a bit, sad.

"How's Cloverpaw's training going? Where is she, anyway?" He pondered.

"Out hunting with Duskhollow. I don't know, I think Finchstar might make her a warrior soon." Birchbark mewed blankly. "You should be, too. Its outrageous he won't let you, you've completed your training nearly twice!"
Before his father could go on, he changed the subject.