Chapter 3

What do you think of RaincloudXStormfall? Do you think they should be together?

Yowlpaw padded into the clearing, his mouth full of fur from carrying a skinny squirrel he caught while it was collecting nuts from the beech tree.
 Ha! Mouse-brained squirrel!
He padded over to the fresh-kill pile, adding his squirrel to the four pieces of prey, a sparrow, two voles, and a scrawny mouse. He hadn't noticed while hunting his hunger and thirst. Maybe Cloverpaw will wanna come with me to the border, he thought. He crossed the clearing and sat down beside Cloverpaw briskly smoothing his fur. "It's to warm for patrols!" She mewed. Her voice like a gentle leaf in the wind.

"Yeah, I just got back from hunting with Cloudsound." Cloverpaw seemed to wince at the sound of his mentor's name. "I was thinking, since we're both done with patrols, that we could get a drink for the elders. I'm sure RiverClan won't mind if we steal a few sips, I mean, they do have another river." He struggled to get the words out. Cloverpaw's tail drooped.
"We can't steal! You may be banished from the clan, and may not care if you become a warrior, but I do! You can go get your ears clawed off by Finchstar and Reedstar, but don't invite me!" Cloverpaw's words stung his heart. Had she really thought this way? That he was a no-good troublesome rouge? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

His tail and head that were normally held high drooped into the dust. He longed to get some peaceful sleep with the warmth and comfort of his den-mates. He knew it wouldn't happen, he knew they didn't like him.
"Hey look! It's a rogue patrol!" Greenpaw hissed in his ear. He had just come from gathering moss with Cloudsound and Raincloud near Snackerocks. "Hey look!" He pointed his tail at Greenpaw. "A mouse-brained kittypet patrol!" He retorted. Greenpaw hissed and left for the apprentices' den, tail held at a low angle.

"Go bring the moss to Rainpaw," Yowlpaw started to pad over, when his mentor mewed in his ear, "Nice, don't let that younger cat get to you! We'll be leaving soon anyway, soak all the clan life in." Cloudsound gave a mischievous look.

He was glad Cloudsound was his mentor and not Duskhollow. He held the moss in between his chin and chest, trying not to drop any. He slowly reached the Medicine cats' den without a hassle.

"Thanks, we were running low! You wouldn't believe how much elders can complain!" Rainpaw started to move the moss into a damp hole. "Trust me, I know I'll miss 'em. Even their never-ending stories!" Rainpaw gave a look of satisfaction that his friend was happy. "I'm gonna miss you though," he sighed. Why did I say that? Rainpaw looked up from his work. 

"I've got to go, the moon will be rising soon," the apprentices heard Prickleface say.                                  
"Well, can you give me the herbs?" Daisyheart's voice rang with worry. Herbs for what?                            
 "I suppose, it won't take long. But if Quialfeather gets angry, it's your fault." Daisyheart let out a mmrrooow Of laughter.
"Rainpaw, will you stay behind tonight? I need to travel alone, just the stars and I." Rainpaw nodded, not looking up.

"I'll be on my way then, Rainpaw can get you the herbs." Rainpaw nodded. "May StarClan light your path, and make it bright!" Rainpaw called. Prickleface headed out of camp in a surprisingly good mood. 

"Goodnight, Yowlpaw!" Rainpaw stalked back into the medicine den. Yowlpaw looked up at the moon, it beautifully lit the sky.
He padded into the apprentices' den unseen except by Lionfang, who was standing guard. He curled up in his nest, seeking warmth from other cats. He sighed, Greenpaw and Cloverpaw had gone for a night exercise. He would've gone too, but Finchstar said it'd be foolish to teach an enemy. Yowlpaw could tell Cloudsound wanted to rake Finchstar's ears off by the expression he made.