Chapter 9

Chapter Hint:
Gasps of shock whispered through the small group.
"Why should I be in the den? I'm a medicine cat, a sign of peace. I should be outside the den."

---------- ---------- ---------- ----------

"I can't wait to be an apprentice!" Swiftkit squealed while chasing some feathers with Duckkit and Treekit.
"Me to!" Duckkit agreed while Treekit nodded.

Raincloud sighed, they can't be apprentices. I'm not a leader, I can't do that stuff. Who can?

"Birchbark! Can we play with you?" Treekit whined.
"Sure. I'm leader of SomethingClan. I am Birchstar, here my words."

"Can we be apprentices?" Treekit asked.
"Sure! Treepaw, Swiftpaw, Duckpaw, your mentors will be Raincloud, Flywing, and, uh, Stormfall. Do you promise to train, uh, like warriors under StarClan?" Birchbark mumbled the words awkwardly.

That's not how it goes.

"Swiftpaw, Treepaw, Duckpaw," He stood tall in front of the kits.
"Do you promise to train to be warriors of Thunde- of our group?" He mewed, "I do!" The kits yowled excitedly. To bad they'll never become apprentices. Real ones, anyway.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your mentors."
The kits nodded eagerly.
"Swiftpaw's mentor will be Flywing, Duckpaw's will be Stormfall, and I will mentor Treepaw." He announced. For a moment, Raincloud was convinced it was real.
He sighed, and stalked over to where Cloudsound, Flywing and Yowlpaw had returned with mouthfuls of prey.
"We won't be hungry tonight!" Each cat had a squirrel, and Flywing also had a mouse.

The three dropped their prey onto the pile, which now had three mice, a water vole, three squirrels and a thrush.

"We might have trouble." Rainpaw mewed worriedly.
"What do you mean?" He asked, grabbing  a mouse off the prey pile.
"SkyClan patrol, and they're coming this way!" He hissed. SkyClan! Why would they be so far out of their territory?

"What? That's ridiculous! Where?" Rainpaw showed him from behind some tall grass.
"Why are they here?" He wondered out loud.
Rainpaw sighed. "When I went to the Moonstone Gathering last, Longleap told me he had a dream, a dream that their territory was being destroyed by twoleg monsters. They might have sent out patrols to find more territory." Rainpaw mewed fast.

What?! But theirs always been five clans. Like one is just going to vanish, like that.

"Are you sure? That its SkyClan?" He prayed to StarClan his nose was smelling something wrong.
"Of course I'm sure! I'm a medicine cat for StarClan's sake!" Rainpaw hissed.

Raincloud swiftly turned around and went back to the camp.
He gathered every cat and stood on a small rock so they could all see him.

"There is a SkyClan patrol coming this way. I want Flywing and the kits in the den with Rainpaw."
Gasps of shock whispered through the small group.
"Why should I be in the den? I'm a medicine cat, a sign of peace. I should be outside the den."

"Very well, Flywing and the kits in the den." Flywing brought the kits into her nest and curled around them protectively.
"We're fine, Raincloud." Flywing mewed.

He nodded and stood on the rock again.
"How big is the patrol?" Cloudsound asked.
"Four cats, three warriors and an apprentice." He answered swiftly, recalling the information that Rainpaw had given him.

"I want Stormfall in the back with Yowlpaw, Cloudsound behind me, Rainpaw next to me, and Birchbark next to Cloudsound." He ordered, leaping off the rock.

They formed a patrol.
Raincloud led the way towards the SkyClan patrol.

"ThunderClan? Do you smell that, Berryleaf?" Called a she cat.
"Yeah, I do. Maybe its those rogues." Answered another she cat.
"Well, let's hope they stay out of our way then." Snarled a tom.
"Are we gonna fight them?" Mewed a younger tom.
"I hope not." The she cat Berryleaf answered.

"Cowards!" Yowlpaw hissed from the back. "Quiet!" Cloudsound scolded.
He flicked his tail for the patrol to stop.

"What now?" Rainpaw mewed.
With a shock, Raincloud realized Rainpaw had never been on a battle patrol before.
"We confront them." He answered blankly.

He snuck out of the undergrowth, standing tall.
"What's a SkyClan patrol doing out here?" He questioned.
His patrol was behind him, Rainpaw next to him.

"Nothing a couple of ThunderClan rogues need to know!" He recognized Molefang.

"Shush, Molefang. Last time I checked I was leading this patrol." Flowerfall mewed giving Molefang a glare.

"We don't come to harm any cat." Flowerfall answered his thoughts.

"Then go." He simply said.

"We don't want to harm any cat." Molefang hissed.
Cloudpaw, the young tom, stood next to Molefang, fur fluffed up.

"Then leave this territory." He hissed. I don't want a fight, but I don't want them to think we're weak.

"Is it true you killed two kits and a queen?" Cloudpaw asked.
"Cloudpaw!" Berryleaf hissed.

What? Who was he talking about? We saved three kits, not killed two!

"No! Of course we didn't!" Stormfall hissed, standing next to him.
"We saved those RiverClan kits!" Cloudsound added.

"Interesting. Stay away from the clans. We don't need rogues bothering us." Molefang hissed. And with that, the SkyClan patrol left back for their territory.

"Let's go." He ordered, turning the patrol around. They headed back, only with a few murmurs.

"Your back!" Duckkit squealed excitedly.
"I told you!" Swiftkit mewed.
"Birchbark!" Treekit ran and jumped onto his father's back.

"Ugh!" Birchbark mewed after his youngest son leaped onto him.
"Your getting to big to be a kit!" Birchbark mewed.

To bad they can't be apprentices.

"Grr, I'm a ShadowClan warrior!" Swiftkit pounced onto Duckkit.

"Look at them, so cute." Stormfall sighed, gazing at the kits with warm eyes. Oh, Stormfall. If only you knew how much I love you, maybe we would have our own.

"Wanna share this squirrel?" He prodded a squirrel from the pile. "Sure." Stormfall mewed.

They started eating the pray together, just watching the kits play quietly. He sighed, How can I tell her?

So? What do you think? I know, cliché ending, but hey, it was a bit interesting. Do you think Raincloud will ever tell Stormfall about his feelings? This might have been the last time they see clan cats, ever.
Vote, Comment, Share, and, uh, meow!