Chapter 18- Keefe

Keefe's POV

I could see Percy was relieved when Bullhorn started running around screaming.

I felt bad for him but I couldn't stop worrying about Sophie. She was so pale I didn't want to look at her.

I walked over to her and grabbed her hand. I held it like it was the only thing keeping me anchored here. And maybe it was.

I pulled Sophies hand up to my forehead and rested it there, closing my eyes.

I felt a small tear make its way down my face. Once the gates were open they didn't stop. I just let the tears fall, keeping Sophies hand on my forehead.

I felt a strong arm wrap around my shoulder. I let Sophies hand go and looked up.

I was expecting Edaline, Percy or really anyone but who I saw staring at me.

"She'll be okay." Grady told me pulling me into a hug.

"I-" I could feel the floodgates trying to force their way open again but I wouldn't let them.

"She loves you a lot Keefe. I can see it when she looks at you. Don't mess it up. Mark my words if you break her heart you will never be heard from again. Got it?" Grady said pulling away and looking me in the eyes.

"I- I- got it," I said getting over my complete shock. I knew Grady was an awesome guy--and dad-- but I also knew he hated me.

"Good," Sandor said walking over. "And Grady's right."

"About what?" I asked, "The killing me if I hurt her--which I could never by the way-- or that she loves me?"

"Both," he said showing no expression.

We heard a slight groan and everyone in the room turned toward the sound.

"Sophie?" I practically shouted when I noticed ahe was awake.

She groaned again. "Keefe? What... What happened?"

"You faded again, I- I thought-" My voice chocked out and I felt the tears start again.

A gentle hand brushed my tears away and lifted my head to look Sophie in the eyes. "I'm okay. Really."

After that the room settled into a silence.

Wait.

Silence...

I looked over and Percy was sleeping in the chair. Meanwhile Bullhorn was...

Resting by Annabeths side again. Elwin looked like he was panicked, pulling elixirs out frantically.

I felt my face drain of blood at how translucent Annabeth was. It reminded me painfully of the first time Sophie faded.

I watched as Sophie lost any touch of color in her face as she took in the sence.

"No... My concentration should have been enough!" She shouted the last part startling Percy awake.

He looked over and looked excited. That is until he realized where Bullhorn was.

"No, no. NO!" He stood up and walked over to Annabeth grabbing her almost non-existent hand, "Annabeth c'mon you have to be ok."

Sophie tried to stand up but I turned and cuaght her as she stumbled. "Sophie I know you want to help but you're to weak right now."

"Someone has to do something," she insisted.

"Elwin's doing all he can." I said trying to make her feel better.

"No. It's not enough." Sophie tried to stand again and I had to catch her as she stumbled again.

"Foster please. There's nothing you can do right now and I couldn't stand it if-" My voice chocked off as I thought about losing her.

Sophie looked at me with her beautiful golden brown eyes. There must have been lots of worry in my eyes because she sighed and said, "Okay but we have to help her either way."

I nodded grateful Sophie actually listened to me for once. I glanced back behind me and Sandor nodded approval when we made eye contact.

I turned back to Annabeth and it was like I could see her disappearing. Percy looked so worried. I knew how he was feeling.

Sophie looked back at me and started crying. I pulled her into a hug and let her cry her heart out.

"It's my fault, and I can't even do anything." She whispered in my ear between sobs.

That's when it hit me. Sophie had once said that fading felt like the light was trying to pull you away and that it's really hard to resist.

"Sophie maybe there is something you can do." I said pulling away.

"What?" Sophie asked wiping her eyes. I picked her up and put her in the chair by Annabeth that was now vacant.

Percy looked up at me quizically. "What do you think you can do?"

"Sophie do you think you can tell Annabeth to hang on? You mentioned that it's hard to resist but the thought of your friends and what would happen kept you here. Annabeth doesn't know what's happening, she could think it's what's supposed to happen."

Sophie looked at me with a small smile. "You think it could work?"

Percy was deadly silent as he took in the information.

I nodded to Sophie, 'If Percy is okay with it."

Percy looked at Annabeths translucent face and back at me. He nodded, "If you can help her, anything."

"I don't trust it," Grady interrupted. "It could be dangerous going into a faded mind when you are faded yourself Sophie."

Sandor nodded, "Grady's right. I'm sorry miss Foster, but I fear your friend is not worth risking your life for."

Sophie shook her head, "I have to save her. Please just let me do this."

"No Sophie its not worth the risk." Grady answered firmly

"But-" Sophie started.

"Sophie they're right." I interrupted. Everyone looked at me. Percy looked so hurt I couldn't stand to look at him. "Before you go complaining, I think you should have back up."

"But who-" I watched as realization struck. "You can't be suggesting what I think you are."

"I am." I said glancing at Grady and Sandor who seemed satisfied with Sophie having backup.

"Keefe, he doesn't know about us. I- I don't think he's going to take it well..."

"I know but saving Annabeth," I gestured at her quickly. " Is way more important. We'll cross the whole us thing after Annabeth is better."

"This is a bad idea..." Sophie said as she pulled out her imparter.

"Show me Fitz Vacker."