The Pet Shop

Prompt: The day Dream and George adopted Patches.

Parent AU

No one's POV

Clare was practically bouncing on her seat with excitement when she heard the news.

Her parents were gonna adopt a pet.

So, she could also have some fun company.

When they arrived there.

Dream parked the car and they both stepped out, with George walking over to the back to unbuckle Clare from her child seat.

As soon as the 3 of them entered the store, Clare was met with colourful cages and glass tanks on display.

Dream and George were looking around while Clare was running ahead of them.

She couldn't contain her joy when she also looked around, a tank full of goldfish first grabbing her attention.

Her eyes widened in amusement, as she saw them swimming around.

When she did tap the glass a few times, she giggled when she saw them swimming away in the other direction.

Dream was the one who first took acknowledge of this when he kneeled down next to her.

"Do you like the fishies, sweetie?" he asked her, pointing his finger on the tank.

But when he turned his head to face her, she wasn't there. Instead, her attention was already caught by the bunnies sitting in the cages.

I guess, that's a no.

Clare was watching brown, white, and black bunnies hop around their cage, hide inside their little house, and even nibble on their food, provided by the store owner.

Her eyes even saw how cute and fluffy they are, that she even attempted to touch and pet one near the cage with its' fur sticking out.

But Dream stopped her before she could even do, carrying her on his hip.

Clare didn't understand why her Papa stopped her that she started whining, reaching out for the bunny.

When the store owner saw this, he approached him and asked what was going on.

Dream apologized and explained it to him, but after he did, the owner really didn't see much of a problem here and even offered to take out a bunny for her to pet.

And he did.

Clare was excitingly waiting, while the owner took a brown bunny from the cage, who was in the midst of eating food, as he held the fluff ball out to them.

She happily pet the bunny's fur, making her giggle when the bunny started moving around in the owner's arms, begging to be put down.

When the owner did return it back to the cage, the bunny almost immediately hopped back towards its' food.

Dream and George didn't seem like a bunny would fit for them as a pet when Clare already lost interest on the bunny.

She was still being carried when she pointed over to the bird cages.

And Dream gladly carried her over there for her to look, with George following behind them.

Clare instantly heard chirping, with their colourful feathers being the first thing she saw amusing.

Dream and George both saw her beaming face, which made their hearts melt just seeing their daughter so absorbed.

One bird even approached her near the cage with it's feather sticking out.

Clare pointed out her finger to go touch it out of curiosity.

The bird only moved a bit, looking like it's confused, which made Dream let out a half suppressed laugh.

But it didn't take too long for Dream's laugh to disappear when the bird didn't like its' feathers being touched.

And Clare wasn't aware that her finger was close to one of its' tiny claws.

The bird flew away, making it's claw scratch her finger, which made her flinch and immediately pull her finger away.

It wasn't anything serious. There was no severe scratch nor a wound on her finger, but Clare was still small at that time and she couldn't comprehend what just happened.

So, she started whining, tears threatening itself out of her eyes.

Dream didn't hesitate to console her quickly while gently taking her finger, so he can kiss it.

"There you go. Does that feel better? That bird was a mean

By now, George was also trying to comfort her, with Clare being in between of both of her overprotective dads.

I guess that crosses out birds, too.

Dream and George saw that there's probably no pet here that Clare wanted. So, they decided to just find another pet store.

The 3 of them looked around a little longer, with Clare wanting to be put down because she didn't want to be in the same level as the bird cages there.

Until they eventually had to leave.

Dream was about to lead their way out the door, when they realized that Clare wasn't with them.

George was the one who panicked and frantically looked around the store.

It wasn't that long when he heard George's voice, telling him to come over where he is right now.

Dream slowly walked to where he is, and when he turned around to an aisle, his eyes couldn't believe it.

Clare was there, sitting on the floor next to the cats and dogs.

He was ready to take Clare away from there in case the dogs might start barking or the cats might get aggressive towards her, but no.

She somehow managed to open one of the cat cages there, and a brown cat walked out towards her.

The cat started purring, which made her smile and pick up the cat a bit quick.

But the cat showed no signs of wanting to hurt the girl.

Dream and George were relieved at this, but just to make sure, they still sat on both of her sides, not caring that the floor seemed dirty.

But to them it seemed like Clare has finally found someone who she wants to play with her.

The store owner got concerned where his only customers for the day went.

He walked around his store until they found them there, petting one of the cats.

Before he could even get a word out, Dream beat him to it.

"We'll be taking this home, thanks," he spoke, the cat was now in his arms.

He wouldn't be lying when he said that he love how the cat was both gentle with their daughter and with both him and George.

Clare was busy petting and adoring the cat George held, while Dream went ahead to not only confirm their adoption for the brown cat, but also buy a pet carrier and some cat food.

When they exited that store, Clare couldn't stop looking and smiling on the front of the pet carrier, where the cat is laying inside.

They put the carrier next to Clare, while George was strapping her in her child seat in the back.

So, while Dream and George were having a lighthearted talk in the front, Clare was busy with shaking one of the cat toys Dream had also bought in front of the cat.

George went to look and check on Clare in the rear view mirror. He watched her playing with the cat toys whilst the cat just meowed back to her.

Clare couldn't be happier, as she had already found her new best friend.