5 | blow off

chapter : 05
blow off

━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━k a b i r━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━
k a b i r
━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━

"So, we have lost the opportunity." Mr Tej Singh Shekhawat broods in his heavy voice. My grandfather has been one of the closest allies of this royal family. They are the descendants of the royalty, residing in their home city, a smart city in Madhya Pradesh.

Having huge industrial businesses and with many hotel chains under their sleeves they are also one of the most influential people in our country.

"I am sad about that too, but I guess my child has finally found the love of his life." My grandfather boasts, sipping on the bubbly liquid. He is genuinely happy for me, irrespective of the shitty way he has of showing.

Shekhawats had contacted my grandad, some weeks ago, wanting to ally his and our family, an impending marriage bond. One I needed an out from and this is how Noor comes into the picture.

His family of seven consisting of him and his wife, his brother and his wife stand in the front conversing with us while their children stand either behind them or in the case of the girl who I am guessing is the oldest amongst her siblings stands next to her mother, Tej's wife.

With the way Tej is talking of marriage like a deal and the relieved look on the lady who keeps glancing at me every time, I am guessing she was the woman they wanted me to marry. She is beautiful and young and I am pretty sure would be a perfect wife and daughter-in-law, but I am not interested in the concept.

I have no pedestal to put marriage onto, no expectations, no wants, I am not even sure if I disagree with Tej's conceptions of marriage as a bond to strengthen familial ties. But I can't commit myself to this nuisance, it would be unfair.

I pretend to hear their discussions regarding some acquisitions and mergers when my grandfather halts, turning around and calls Noor.

"There she is. Noor, my future daughter-in-law." He proudly announces whilst I look back in fear. Noor agreed to be my fake partner, but fiancée?

I look at the direction he has moved to, Noor's back is facing us, I believe she was trying to run away once she saw us gripped in conversations. I smile at my guests, excusing myself so that I can bring Noor to meet them.

It is mostly ten steps away from where we were standing when I see the expression on her face. She raises her head, our eyes meeting when I truly look at her.

She looks troubled, her calm demeanour detonating with every passing second. My hand cups her face, the other checking her temperature when I ask her if she is okay.

"I need to leave, please."

"Did something happen, Noor?"

"No. I just can't be here anymore." She shakes her head and I realise that the statement must have shaken her.

"I am sorry, I didn't know he'll assume you being my fiancé, I'll talk to him—"

"I need to leave." Before I can ask her any further, the entire Shekhawat family led by my grandfather comes near us. I can hear whispers around us, everyone has their attention focused on our family matter.

"Is she okay?" My grandfather questions, he has a look of concern on his face but in his eyes, I can see the rising embarrassment and anger. Noor's act might seem genuine to me, but for him, it's a stunt of shame and awry. She was supposed to play her part and be introduced into the family, respectably, according to him.

I am ready to tell them about her health, that we would be leaving soon when  Mrs Shekhawat speaks, "Your name's Noor?"

I can see the look of resilience on Noor's face, she lets out a quick puff of air and turns around to face the royal family. They seem intimidating to everyone, so I am not surprised at Noor's reaction.

She musters a smile at them, that doesn't look real, her fingers are fidgeting and her eyes are avoiding theirs.

"Noor, this is my friend, Mr Shekhawat, he belongs to the Royal Family of Madhya Pradesh. He is also a very well-known businessman in our country." My grandfather takes it upon himself to brush off the awkwardness.

"Hello." I have never heard my assistant sound so squeaky and sad. Her tone's low, her face paler. I extend my hand, capturing hers, and she looks at me alarmed.

I squeeze her palm, my thumb softly brushing the dorsum of her hand, making an effort to tell her that we will leave this place soon

I realise that the family is looking at our joined hands, while my grandfather sports a proud smile.

"So this is what you have been doing?" Tej speaks, his face stone-like. Emotionless and empty.

Like my grandfather, I believe that he is talking to me when he stuns me to silence.

"Noor, is this your way of rebelling?" A single statement and I am left bewildered. I face Noor, only to find her gaze down, trained on the grass.

It's confusing and puzzling but I have a hunch, an idea that seems so impossible but the reality is playing out in front of me.

"You know her?" It's my grandfather putting forward my doubts.

There's silence and contemplation, averted gazes, upsetting faces and taxing stances. Mrs Shekhawat steps forward, her eyes gentle and some moisture gathered near the lower lids.

"She's the eldest child of the Shekhawat family." Her hand caresses Noor's face, who stares back at her with remorse and guilt.

I have known Noor for four years, we have worked almost the same hours together and never would I have ever assumed that Noor who is known for her outspoken nature and crude language, messy habits of clumsily managing her space and lives by the motto that fighting is the only solution to a problem..is a princess, in the truest sense.

Noor stands like a statue, speaks no words, her face void of any emotion. It's like the most dreadful dream of hers has come alive, reeling before her, pushing and tugging her back.

The reason Noor remained a mystery, was because she is one.

━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━

thank you!

fun fact: Melatonin is a hormone that controls the wake-sleep cycle in the body.

Uhmm... surprise?

This is why things took place as quickly as they did. That's how Kabir and Noor would be Royally Trapped
*wink wink*

thank you!

do vote and comment.

royally yours,
meethi.