7 | wrong choices

chapter : 07
wrong choices

━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━k a b i r━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━

━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━
k a b i r
━━━━━━━❅━━━━━━━

She lived next door?

The sheepish grin on her face had me gaping at her. My jaw had almost touched the car seat, my eyes were blinking as if trying to wash away the dream and knock me back into reality.

This was while we were still in the car. Now, I wait for the elevator to take me to my floor so that I can finally think without a looming presence with me. She rides the same elevator and gets off on the same floor.

Unlocking the door to her home, she goes inside, and I am left there still gawking.

Locking the door behind me, I head towards the sofa set settled in the centre of my living room. Closing my eyes I try comprehending the happenings of today. Try making sense of it.

Noor has been working with me for four years now, and never had it ever occurred to me that she isn't what she poses to be. Not the simple messy girl but instead a girl of noble bloodline, a girl with her share of burdens, a past so daunting that it ended up shaping her into the woman she now is.

The Noor I have known has been the true version of herself, not the oppressed one she was forced to be. It makes it so difficult for me to believe anything now.

The truth I knew wasn't real in the least, it's not that I am blaming or labelling her as fake but what should I make out of this situation?

She fooled me and everyone around her. Tricked us into believing all the lies she kept feeding us. She built her clone life so efficiently that now the truth shatters our trust.

Noor has been my employee, we have shared thousands of banters but we were never friends. I doubt if we could even call ourselves acquaintances. I am not angry at her for concealing her truth, honestly, it doesn't even matter to me.

But what shocks me is that I was spending days with a person, under the same roof, who was a coy. She could have been a killer for God's sake.

It is a fault in my office's system, something I will have to rectify soon. I cannot let something like this happen again, once fooled but never again.

I would need to be cautious while recruiting employees. As for Noor, as much as I trusted her, she will have to go. An example has to be set.

I opened my eyes, which had shut on their own accord. Stumbling for my phone, I draft a new mail. As I type the words, the scene starts playing at the back of my mind.