Uno

Tania Brooks | Nia

"Hey stop !"

I kept running through the busy streets of the Bronx trying to loose this rookie cop. He was doing a good job of keeping up with me, but soon the chase would end.

I took a sharp right turn down the alley way as his big footsteps were now hot on my tail. I reached the 6 foot tall fence and climbed as fast as I could not caring if I got scratched up.

"Stop running !"

I reached the top and looked back at cop now at the bottom of the fence. I panicked and lost my balance, falling straight to the hard ground.

"Shit" I groaned rubbing my right shoulder

"Stop right there !" He continued to climb the fence

I got up from the ground and continued running from the alley. I made a sharp left and was now on a very busy street. I said excuse me as I made my way through the crowded sidewalk.

I looked back and didn't see the rookie cop in sight. I let out a sigh of relief and continued my journey to my complex.

"Look who we have here"

I rolled my eyes as the building door shut behind me. On the steps were Corey and his group of friends, sickening friends at that. I attend school with them, even though I wish otherwise.

"Ain't it past your bedtime ?" Corey joked

I ignored him and made my way up the stairs, well only two steps when Corey stopped me grabbing a hold of my arm.

"What do you want ?" I asked clearly showing my attitude

"Cut the attitude ma"

"One, I ain't your ma, and two get out my face. You and your crew need a new daily routine anyways" I said before snatching my arm out of his grip

I walked up the stairs until I found my apartment number, 215A. I unlocked the apartment door with my key and closed it after leaning against it closing my eyes. All that running is catching up to me.

"Do you know what time it is ?!"

I opened my eyes and saw my mother with the meanest scowl on her face. I got myself prepared for her speech she gives me every time I come home late.

"Are you listening to me ?!"

"Yeah ma" I said as I made my way to my room

I walked past the couch where her drunk boyfriend was sitting. As usual, a 40oz in his right hand while the left resting on his growing beer belly.

"I'm trying to watch the game Veronica, shut the hell up !" He yelled to my mother

"Shut up Samuel, you should be doing the same -"

Her sentence was cut short by a hard slap to the face. I shook my head and quickly walked into my room being sure to lock the door after me. I threw my book bag on the floor next to me as I sat down on the twin size bed.

"You always have something smart to fucking say ! Just shut the hell up when I tell you to and you won't be having any bruises to cover up !"

This was an everyday thing between the two. Luckily my sister was able to get out of the house while she could, not daring to turn back. She hasn't contacted me in about 3 years.

I gathered my night clothes and walked to the bathroom. After showering for 15 minutes, I got out and wrapped my towel around me. I changed into my night clothes and exited out of the bathroom.

"Are you gonna fucking listening now ?!" Samuel yelled as I could hear my mother still weeping

As I got in my bed, a loud gun shot rang out in the small two bedroom apartment. I jumped from the sound and sat still as another was heard. The apartment was quiet as I rose out of my twin sized bed.

"Oh my god" I whispered as tears sprung to my eyes

My mothers lifeless body was slumped against the wall with blood running out of her mouth. Her eye was blown out of her face as I tried to keep myself from throwing up all the food I had ate earlier.

"What did he do to you ?" I bent down next to her careful not to touch her body

I quickly got up and rushed to find the evil son of a bitch. I ran into the living room to see his own body slumped against the couch, one shot to the head.

Tears started running down my face as I leaned against the wall, sliding down. Their was knocking at the door but I ignored it as I continued to cry for my mother. I wish I had a chance to tell her I loved her before she was tragically taken away.

||||

"Did you see what happened between your mother and Samuel"

"No" I mumbled barely audible

They had me sitting in this cold room with an detective. She was nice but I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone at all. All I wanted was to hug my mother and tell her I loved her.

The detective sighed and got up from the table walking out of the room. I was hoping for the longest that she would get the hint I didn't want to talk to her.

It's been 2 days since the incident and I've been back here at least 3 times out of the two whole days.

"Tania, you can leave the room now"

I got up from the table and pulled my jacket further on my body. I held my right hand in my left, rubbing over my knuckles every few seconds. I sat down in one of the chairs upfront as a lady in a suit walked up to me.

"Tania Brooks ?"

"That's me" I looked up at her

"I'm Ms. Carmical, I work for Child Protective Services"

"Okay..." I said staring at her waiting for her state why she's here

"Tania I couldn't get in touch with anyone from your mothers side, do you know anyone's number ?"

Figures. My mothers family never liked us ever since she had me and my sister Yasmine with my father. He was black and I guess they didn't believe in interracial dating.

"No" I simply answered

"Well I got ahold of your father and he's willing to take you in, would you like that ? I mean it is your choice, you could say no"

I thought about it thinking of all the good things. I could get away from this rough life and not live in a group home, or foster care.

"I'll go" I finally answered

"Great choice. He'll be here shortly to pick you up"

"Yeah okay" I leaned back in the chair

After waiting for about thirty minutes for my sperm donor, he finally appeared. I haven't seen him since I was 3 years old, so when he stood in front of me I just stared.

"I'll give you two a moment alone"

We stood there in silence a few moments not knowing what to say. He eventually wrapped his arms around me as I broke down again. At least I have one family member.

Just a lil something, Tania in the mm if you can see her

Her name is pronounced [ Tah-Nye-Ah ]

Story takes place in the summer of 2013 to may 2014 so you don't get confused on certain things taking place.