-twenty seven: memories pt. 2

⇢ ˗ˏˋ ❦ ࿐ྂ

"you were in a boy band? i'm shaking." carlos said once mr. mazzara finished his story about him and ms. jenn's meeting.

"i knew i recognized you." jet said. "i went through this obscure boy-band phase in middle school." he said again.

"he did. it was weird."

desiree and kourtney turned to each other, laughing quietly.

"don't make me bring up your bts and seventeen phase, you're basically still in it." jet said.

"shut the f**k up."

everyone gasped, and then jet shook his head, "anyway, you guys were really big in warsaw."

"it was the entire country of poland." mr. mazzara said. "but yes, i was briefly part of a male singing institution. they referred to me simply as "benny." i was the funky one until they kicked me out for pulling focus."

"they had one number-one single called new zealand, which was a song about how great of a time they had without me..in new zealand."

everyone winced, feeling bad for him. "jennifer, i'm sorry for how i spoke to you that day."

"and ensuing days. you gave these universally-strange children a space to be themselves. i wish there were more people like you in the world."

there was some silence, then ms. jenn walked towards him. "i forgive you, benny."

"um, so this has been really illuminating on so many levels, but we kind of have a musical to save." gina said standimg up.

"yeah, i'm with gina." desiree said. "same. love a good boy band sob story, but come on, mr. funky one. don't get us sidetracked." ricky siad

"sidetracked? this is the most shocking day of my life since..." carlos said, then turned to ms. jenn.

"carlos, you have my blessing."

"i thought sophomore year was going to be boring and predictable, like a straight person's tiktok feed.l

"oh. ooh, i literally just shuddered." maddox said, and carlos started his story.

it was about how he and ms. jenn met, he was being bullied and ms. jenn saw him and left a note in his locker telling him to come to her office.

she then told him about the musical, and asked him to be the choreographer and his assistant, and that's how he was safe from the bullies, thanks to ms. jenn, and how he made all his friends and turned into a theatre kid.

"and that was the day you named me." ms. jenn said, smiling. "and that was the day you saved me."

they both hugged, and then seb walked in very confident. "seb." ricky said.

"oh, great. are you here to kiss everyone?" carlos said. "carlos."

"i can't take this anymore. sit down, carlos." he said angrily and carlos sat.

"for months, i've been channeling my guilt into latte art. i'm probably the only person who's drawn 4,000 cows on a cappuccino." seb said.

"but every time i stare at a cow, i think about you." he said. "because i embody a cow?" carlos said offended.

"you've interrupted an emotional climax here and we're done."

"no. when i showed up three hours late to homecoming after my cow passed away, you were there for me." seb said.