Ch. 13- I Don't Want to Be

-Gavin DeGraw

September 5, 2011 (13/14 years old freshman year; Nico)

It was Nico's second week as a freshman, and he really couldn't bring himself to care much. His classes felt too easy. Geometry, English I, Theatre, Geography, and Biology, French I and Gym. He only had Percy for Geography, Gym, and Biology.

"Mr. di Angelo, pick your head up please," the teacher said. Nico groaned, but listened. He was in English. His teacher, Mr. Elliston, had a strange, unhealthy obsession with Batman and Shakespeare. "Okay, just out of curiosity, did anyone in here actually do summer reading?" The class looked around. "Didn't think so. Alright, what'd you guys do in the summer?"

Nico rolled his eyes. His teacher had set this hard-ass attitude the first week, filling it with timed writings, and articles to look over. To make up for it the week after, he was doing what every other class had done the first week; asking about summer and introducing everyone.

The teacher resorted to going through the entire class to ensure 100% participation. Nico wanted to hide. He didn't like telling others what he did. It made him feel boastful and mean. But every day of summer, he'd done something interesting in Italy, so he couldn't even play it off as just sleeping. When the teacher got to him, Nico said, "I went to visit my mom's hometown. We met a few family friends there."

"Where?" the teacher asked.

"Italy...." Nico mentally groaned at the gasps that surrounded him.

"Wow, Italy. That's awesome, did you have fun?"

Nico hated when teachers tried to small talk, especially in front class. So he just nodded. After that, the teacher split the class into twos and threes, putting Nico with some very familiar people. Nico recognized the girl in the leather jacket with cropped hair and icy blue eyes because she often hung out with Percy and his group of friends, but he wasn't too sure of her name. The other was the one that made Nico nearly stop in his tracks.

It was the boy from the library on the last day of school.

"I'm Thalia," the girl said. "You're... Nico, right?" Nico nodded suspiciously. "Yeah, Percy's friend. Oh, you should've seen the scene he made at the Lotus before school started." Nico looked away, clenching his jaw. "Will, come on say hello."

Will smiled lopsidedly with twinkling sky blue eyes and said, "Actually I think we've met before. Library?" Nico nodded awkwardly. "He helped me find my books last year. Didn't know I had you for class."

Nico shrugged. "I do a good job of making myself invisible." Will raised an eyebrow, and Nico decided to look away.

"Alright trios-slash-partners," Mr. Elliston said. "We're going to do a small class project about first impressions. You all come from a variety of middle schools, and maybe you do know each other, but today is your first impression of each other. I can guarantee you that you will change by the end of the school year. This will parallel to judging books at a glance or at a quick read rather than analyzing. So, there's butcher paper, markers, everything you need. It will be due in a week. Proceed."

"You first, Nico. Tell us basic stuff so we can decide on our impression," Thalia said.

"Um, okay.... Well, I'm quiet; I like to read; I play guitar and piano; I live with my father; my birthday's on Halloween. My sister's was two days later."

"That's the Day of the Dead," Will said. Nico stiffened. "What? No, I mean, my grandma is Latina, and in Mexico, the Day of the Dead is celebrated on November second. It's a really cool celebration."