Ch. 39- Hold On Forever

~Rob Thomas

AN- I apologize for how long my chapters are.... I'm going to try to limit the length because I don't want to overwhelm you all. Please comment and vote and share with people even if they have no clue about PJO! lol. Thankfully, it's Thanksgiving break, so I should be able to write a lot. (My teachers miraculously didn't give me any homework!)

So again, please comment and vote. I appreciate it so much and I love seeing your reactions! 

Much love, happy reading! ~Ally xoxo

*** Sorry if you had the chapter doubled, I had a copy/paste error with Word!

November 26, 2012

It was chilly. There was a holiday smell in the air. The time change had already happened so despite the early hour, the sun was already giving the street a gentle glow. Percy swung his backpack onto his shoulder and started for Nico's house.

He wondered how Nico would act around him in school. It made him a little nervous to think about. He didn't want him to act coldly. He didn't want him to keep someone between them just so nobody would know.

When he reached the door, Nico was already stepping outside. Nico saw him and his face brightened, causing Percy to get jitters. Nico glanced behind him and then pecked Percy's lips. "Good morning," he said.

Percy felt his cheeks warm and an automatic smile spread across his face. "Good morning." Nico had on a hoodie advertising some Texan college. It looked warm. "Where's Hazel?"

"She feels sick," Nico answered. "She had a fever. Dad's calling Dahlia to stay with her because Jules freaks her out a bit."

Percy could understand that. It wouldn't be comfortable to stay all day with a mute man watching over you. "Why doesn't he talk?"

"Choice," Nico answered as he let Percy in. "He can talk."

Nico went to pour himself cereal in a cup and he slung his backpack on. "Dad, we're leaving," Nico called.

"Alright," Azrael called back.

Nico called for Jules and the chauffeur appeared from the dining room. They got into the car and started for school. As the radio played, Nico hummed along and ate his cereal. Percy on the other hand could feel his stomach tighten and knot nervously.

"What's wrong?" Nico asked. Percy hummed as Nico pulled him back to the present. Nico gestured to his hands. Percy had been running them along his thighs nervously without realizing it. "And you keep chewing your cheek. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." Nico gave a skeptical look, but Percy didn't relent. They got to school and Nico left his cup in the cup holder as they both got out of the car. "Well, the torment begins again," Percy muttered.

Nico sighed. "Yep. At least for a couple weeks. Come on."

They started toward the entrance when Nico tensed. Percy looked over and saw a few basketball players. Nico quickened his pace. As they walked down the hallway, Percy noticed Nico continue to tense.

"Neeks?" But Nico kept walking until they got to the library where they usually sat with Annabeth. "Hey," Percy said sitting next to him. "What is it?"

Nico put his face in his hands. "I was such a bad person. I can't walk down one hallway without seeing someone I hurt. It's pathetic." Percy put his hand on Nico's. "Percy," he warned.

He moved his arm back and looked down. "Right, sorry."

Before Nico could answer, Annabeth came in and slammed her backpack down on the table. Someone from the other table shushed her and she turned to them. "Oh bite me!" Percy raised his eyebrows at her and she sat down in a huff. "A week of no homework or heavy bags, and now here I am again." She groaned and put her hair up into a ponytail.