Ch. 51- I'll Keep You Safe

~Sleeping at Last

Yay two updates in one week omg. Aha, please comment and vote and share! Thank you for reading and sticking with me this far in. Can you believe this story is more than a year old? Shit. 

Happy Readings! xoxoAlly

December 21, 2013 Italy

Percy couldn't contain his excitement. He didn't even want to try. It was too fascinating. The new sounds, the new setting, the new smells, everything. "Holy shit," he muttered.

"What do you think?" Nico asked nervously.

"This place is amazing," he said. He yawned and put an arm over his boyfriend.

"Boys, would you at least try to stay close until we get to the house?" Azrael said. They fell back and regrouped with their families. Mom looked around looking just as fascinated as Percy. Dahlia was practically glowing with happiness as she took Azrael's hand and toted her luggage behind her. Hazel bounded up next to them and smiled.

"It's so pretty in the winter," she mused.

"I will warn all of you that there may be a chance of the streets getting flooded at some point, so we have to get rain boots," Azrael said. Percy looked at the cobblestone street and raised an eyebrow. The city had a lot of water, but he wasn't so sure it would actually flood. Then again, he hadn't live here most of his life.

When they reached the house, everyone was bringing in the luggage and settling into their respective rooms. As he passed by a very elegant room, he noticed Dahlia standing and staring at the wall. He walked into the room taking in the cream colored couches, the fancy lamps and vases on the polished wooden tables, and then finally, the thing Dahlia was staring at. It was a portrait. There was another on the opposite wall, but he was fixed by the one Dahlia was looking at because he recognized the young girl in it.

Maria.

The resemblance to Bianca gave Percy chills. She had the same dark waves of hair, the same angular features, the same wide eyes with a knowing glint. She had rosy cheeks and a timid smile as she stood between two people who must have been her parents. Next to her father, was a young boy who resembled Nico a bit. They both had the same awkward stance for a picture, the same raven black hair, and the same pale olive skin tone. The only difference was this boy's curly hair and height.

"He never let me see her," Dahlia said softly. "He put her pictures away when we began dating. I never bothered to truly look before that. I felt it wasn't my place. She was beautiful."

"Her daughter looked a lot like that too," Percy said. "Is that the uncle Nico told me about?"

Dahlia smiled. "It must be. He has the curls and nervous smile Azrael told me about." She turned and laughed with delight. "Oh look, it's him!" she exclaimed. She made her way to the other portrait and Percy realized she was right.

This portrait had a boy with his parents, no siblings. The boy had a mischievous glint in his eyes, and Percy found it hard to think it was Azrael. Had it not been for the posture and the coal black eyes, Percy would not have believed it.

"Percy?" he heard Nico call. He passed by the sitting room and backtracked. "Oh, there you are. Dahlia, your room is across from Hazel's."

"Oh thank you, sweetie," she said. She took her suitcase and started for the stairs.

Nico turned back to look at the portraits. "That's your uncle over there, right?" Percy asked. Nico glanced over and nodded. "How old were they in those pictures?"