Ch. 32- Freedom

- Anthony Hamilton ft. Elayna Boynton

AN: Oh, btw, for some reason I'm not getting my comment notifications?? So like... sorry if it takes long to reply <3 Also, please check out my friend's story, he want more readers. It's an original story with a potentially gay couple! @BronyChris and the story is My Mother's Grimm. Thank you! 

xoxo Ally

Saturday August 25, 2012 (Nico, sophomore year, same time as Percy's)

The ride home from the airport was quiet. Summer hadn't gone very well for Nico when he wasn't spending it with Drew and Hazel. Anytime he was around his father he argued, talked back, and refused to show him any respect. In few words; the father son bond had dissipated entirely.

Azrael was angry. His knuckles were white in his lap as Jules-Albert drove in his usual mute demeanor. Nico was angry. He stared out the window with a scowl that had become permanent on his face if he was around his father. Hazel was uncomfortable. She drowned out the silence by listening to music on her phone.

Nico ended up staring at the phone. He had lost count on how many times Percy tried to reach him. After the spat they had, Nico couldn't bring himself to talk to him. He understood that he overreacted, but he couldn't help remember the accusatory tone in his voice. He usually had an excuse for Hazel to give him. But then it became too much and a bad day.

He'd just argued with Azrael and was already feeling like he was about to burst when Hazel neared him timidly. "It's him again," she said.

And Nico lost it. "Tell him to stop calling! Can't he get a fucking clue?" Then he ran to his room and hit the wall. Again and again and again.

Nico hadn't even called for his birthday. He glanced at the sand dollar in his hand. He wanted to give it to Percy. As a gift, an apology, a truce. As the car neared the house, he debated going then and there or waiting for a little later.

As soon as the car parked, Azrael turned in his seat. "The second you step out of this car, you are grounded."

"Did you forget that I already don't have a phone?" Nico replied angrily. "I already went all summer without a computer, but I'll need it for school, unless you want my GPA to drop. I don't really watch TV. Believe me living with you is punishment enough."

Azrael's face went red. "I am your father! You need to show me respect at the house, in public, and in company!" Nico smirked. Azrael still hadn't gotten over the embarrassment he went through when Nico openly talked about the fact that he'd cheated on his mother in front of the Tanakas. "Wipe that smirk off your face." Nico raised an eyebrow, refusing to drop the smirk. "You're not leaving the house unless it's for school for a month."

That was new. Usually it wouldn't bug Nico. But that summer, he'd spent most weekends at Drew's house or at a party. Sometimes Hazel went, sometimes she didn't. Nico planned on going to more parties. And a stupid unenforced rule wasn't going to make him waver.

He leaned forward. "Watch me." He got out of the car and slammed the door shut. Hazel exited the opposite way. Jules would get the luggage. He glanced at Percy's house and shook his head. He didn't want to go in this mood. He opened the gate and started making his way down the curved stone path before stopping short.

"Dahlia?" he questioned. She was sitting at the garden table with her long dark hair falling down her back, her porcelain legs crossed, and her usual gardening hat.

She glanced up, her eyes furrowing as she took in the teenager in front of her. "N-Nico?" she questioned. "You've... grown," she said standing. Hazel came in behind Nico. "Hello," Dahlia greeted kindly. Hazel glanced nervously at Nico.