Ch. 53- Stand By You

~Rachel Platten

please comment and stuff, guys!! i want to know your thoughts and what else you guys want to see or have happen in the story. Thanks <3 Happy Reading!

January 13, 2014

The return to Mezzodor and school seemed to have taken a toll on Percy. He was back to his normal life, the normal city sights. The snow that blanketed the ground glistened and glittered, but the downtown buildings and his quiet street were so different from the colorful, calming lights of Italy and the wet cobblestone streets and enchanting markets.

Nico's nonna had given him a large bin full of cookies, but after a little over a week of being back, they were gone. At the moment, he was looking forlornly at the empty bin where even the crumbs were gone because Mom washed it out.

Returning to school had been fine. He wasn't so paranoid over Will and Nico anymore. Although they were close, there just wasn't any suspicion anymore. That wasn't to say it was all rainbows and butterflies with Nico. Ever since they got back to school, he was irritable and short-tempered.

Percy had assumed this was a result of the several AP classes he had taken and all the finals that were coming up as well as the SAT the junior class had to take. Still, he would be lying if he said it didn't bother him when Nico snapped at him.

At school, Percy sat with Annabeth while Nico poured over a book from his class and some notes he'd taken. "Why aren't you this stressed?" he had asked Annabeth the week before.

"I did this over break. Nico is cramming it all in a week and a half."

This had resulted in a glare from the raven haired boy before he stood and walked toward a bookshelf to continue studying away from other lifeforms.

"Hey sweetie, how was school?" Mm asked as she came through the door. Percy responded with the usual 'fine' and counted to fifteen in his head. Paul's Prius rolled into the driveway right on time. The door opened again and Percy answered the same question in the same way.

"How come you're not at Nico's?" Paul asked.

"He's studying," Percy said. Paul gave him a look. "What?"

It looked like he had been caught doing something bad and it made Percy nervous. But it was Mom that spoke up. "I saw him sitting outside with Will when I pulled up. They both waved at me."

Percy realized why Paul had been so nervous to say anything. "Oh, that's because they're doing a joint paper for English and I think a group website for the history fair he was forced to participate in." He shrugged. "I prefer not to listen to more history lessons than I need."

"And why aren't you studying?" she asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Dyslexia screws me over in English anyway. I exempted the algebra final. And I'm confident about my history knowledge. My classes aren't as fancy as Nico's advanced ones. Physics, I'm dead in anyway."

"So you're just giving up?" she asked. Percy shrugged and was promptly thwacked on the back of the head. "Over my dead body. Can't Annabeth help you?"

"She has her own studies to do."

"Rachel?"

"You don't like Rachel."

"Not as a girlfriend, but if she can help you study, I don't mind." Percy rolled his eyes. "What about Thalia? Or Grover, or-"

"Mom, please," he groaned. "I'll look for someone to help, okay? Just give me the rest of today. The tests don't start until Friday and through next week." She frowned but stopped pushing.