Meeting the family

Inspired by that scene in Black Widow of Nat, Yelena, Melina and Alexei at the table if you know what I mean :)

Even as a 4 year old, you could feel the tension in the room. You were confused though, you knew the blonde woman sat across from you as Auntie Yelena, and the older two as Melina and Alexei- your grandparents. But none of them seemed to be too happy with one another, your mom keeping you safely by her side.

You hadn't actually met your grandparents until now and they didn't seem to be too welcoming to you at first, well either that or your mother wouldn't let them get anywhere near you. She still didn't trust them, but that's something she was trying her best to hide from you because you wanted to meet who she called her 'family'.

In fact in that first moment of walking into their house, Alexei was so loud and energetic he had you petrified. It was a lot for a four year old who wasn't used to new people acting that way. So you cling to your mothers leg as she stroked your hair before you whimpered "up mama up pwease". So she picked you up as you dug your head into her neck and grab tight hold of her hand. You always liked to play with her rings so you naturally loved to have her hand close to you. You do eventually calm down, Melina is a lot calmer and when your aunt yelena enters the room she greets your mom with a hug and kisses the side of your head. You hadn't known Yelena long, but you felt much closer to her, she was your aunt and you loved her.

You sit next to your mom when everyone gathers round the table to eat, Melina handing you some paper and pencils to entertain you, which your mom must admit she thought was very sweet of her, and you just gave her a toothy grin "thank you", as she tucks some hair behind your ear and plants a kiss on your head "you're welcome detka". Both your mom and aunt exchange looks that you don't notice, surprised at Melina's actions towards you, they'd never seen her that way since they learnt the truth. Melina just laughs and asks "what? She's adorable", which despite not knowing why she says it does make you blush. To which your mom giggles at you pressing multiple kisses to your red cheeks uttering a "i agree with you on that one", then she kisses your nose whispering "adorable", making you blush more and just look down.

Some time passes as they talk and you don't pay attention, just sitting with your paper and colouring pencils drawing away until you hear your Aunt say "don't say that it was real to me, you were my family". As soon as you notice her crying, you're jumping out of your seat and making your way around the table to your Aunt, your mom too busy to try stop you. You look up, tapping your Aunt's leg and holding your arms in the air "auntie lena up pwease". She scoops you up, holding you on her lap, as you look into her eyes. You reach up to wipe her tears away, quickly pecking her pouting lips since she's frowning and your mom always does that to you when you're sad. You're pleased as a smile appears on her face and she wraps her arms around you tighter kissing your head multiple times.

You remember her saying before "you were my family" so you say "you my family, silly". Which the others also laugh at, but you just look confused at everyone. Your mom had done a good job at shielding you from the past for now, until you get a little older at least.

———————
A/N this was shorter than usual, wasn't sure where else to go with it lol😩