Chapter 2

Jungkook had been eight cycles old when he'd understood that war took away people you love

Jungkook had been eight cycles old when he'd understood that war took away people you love. It had been nothing more than a parchment of paper delivered to his doorstep, much like many others that usually came in, and he'd jovially collected it using it as an excuse to run to his mother to hand it over. He'd felt her warm embrace as she'd softly pried the parchment from his fingers, and then the surroundings had simply gone too quiet. His mother had then shed tears for days and often held him in an embrace all the tighter at the randomest of times. "The war takes people away" his mother had said, "Just like it has taken your father", and Jungkook did not like it one bit. Four cycles later, when his mother was gone, he'd decided to never be a part of any war and keep the farthest from it. He didn't want to help people or put an end to the war; his parents had done both, and little had been done when they'd been gone. Everyone had simply left after a couple of days. Now, he just wanted a life for himself—something peaceful and quiet with his plants.

Jungkook hadn't seen Hoseok in a week; there was much agitation around him but nothing concrete to justify the anguish he left. He felt like something was in motion around him, even at the royal palace. He could almost feel it, even if it wasn't apparent. "They asked for an alliance...." He'd heard a maid mumbling to the other in hushed whispers in the kitchen.

Alliances were mutual agreements to keep wars at bay. The eastern kingdom had several alliances with the neighbouring kingdoms, to some, they supplied grains, from others, they took leather. The youngest princess had been promised to the southern kingdom for an alliance too. If another alliance was in order, perhaps an actual reign of peace would be ensured for the first time in fifty-two years.

'Perhaps one day I'd get to have my peace and plants.' The thought made him smile, but the smile faded when two royal guards walked up to him and stood blocking his way. They handed him a scroll, luxurious by the looks of it. It looked really important. Perhaps it was a royal order to be delivered. He stood his ground in front of the guards, awaiting their orders, as they looked at him with blank stares and empty faces.

"Please inform me of the destination and the related orders, I'll deliver it on time, even before, if required."

"It is a summon from the queen herself. You are to answer it now." They said, standing as if he were to read the summon then and there. Having no choice, the omega carefully felt up the silken material. The pieces of wood held the corners as he unfolded the scroll, holding it stretched right in front of him. The yellow piece of fabric was easily one of the prettiest shades he'd seen in a while, so much so that it was a clearing of the throat from the guard that had his attention back to what message the beautiful scroll held.

This summon addresses Jeon Jungkook.

The omega son of Healer Jeon, the Golden Hands.

Your parents sacrificed themselves for the well-being of the East Kingdom. I, Queen Mother of the Land, call upon you for a golden opportunity to follow in the footsteps of your parents and make them proud by serving your kingdom. You are to report to the royal hall at the earliest, for an audience with the monarchs of the land.

It was supposed to make him happy, but all that the omega felt was a chill running down his spine, for it was the first time in the twenty-two cycles of his life that he was to face the monarchs of the land and the anguish he'd been feeling all along surged, making him feel all tumultuous within.