Chapter 13

"Eomma, can I court my mate?" asked the innocent eight-year-old, his head on his mother's lap, as her fingers ran through his locks, soothing him, lulling him into comfort.

"Of course, you can my beanling." The kid smiled wide in glee his bunny teeth apparent as his mum admired her child's joy.

"You know you can always take the first step to court your mate, but you should remember that it is important to be dedicated and devoted to them at heart." The young one listens in rapt attention.

" You should be aware that if you choose to court them and then abandon them, it will cause them much ache." The youngling gasps with eyes wide.

"So, if your heart tells you that they are the one, let them know. If they reciprocate, know that the Yue has blessed you. If they do not reciprocate, trust that Yue has someone who'd be quite special for you, so respect the choice and distance yourself." Tears fills the young omega's eyes, but he nods in understanding.

"Adoration takes time to fade, but respect and understanding in matters of the heart are important. It is equally important to communicate to avoid misunderstandings too." a pout apparent on his lips, the omega nods.

"Don't be sad, my bub, I'm sure the Yue has someone very special for you, but also know that you are very special to me, my son , you are loved and oh so precious." She says, holding his face in his palms, dropping a soft kiss on her forehead and then on his eyes, followed by a mock bite on his nose which has the child howling in laughter."

"Eomma no! My mate won't have me if I have a missing nose!" the child says with wide eyes as the sudden realization dawns upon him. The mother laughs at the display of the doe-eyed's innocence.

"My precious child! Your mate would have you anyway, be it with a broken tooth or no nose. They'd love and cherish you for who you are, but for now, eomma will spare your nose," the mother says, gathering her child in her arms and booping his round sweet nose endearingly as the kid goes cross-eyed, trying to see his nose, while his hands feel around to see if the nose is still in place.

Jungkook is brought out from his reverie to see the cloaked individual staring at him inquisitively, it nearly causes him to jump out of his skin, but there he remains frozen, hands still stretched out, holding the slender box that had been handed to him.

"Always remember my beanling. The first gift and the last gift to your mate hold much significance. The first gift is one that conveys sincerity, interest and will to be loyal and devoted to the other. The last gift is one that expresses love, affection, responsibility and devotion."

Jungkook recalls having heard from his mother as he sits beside his bed, staring at nothing in particular.

"Having a mate who accepts your bond as well as the mark is a divine blessing, the fate or your choice may bring you together but staying that way in love and devotion requires much work. There would be times when you'd be angry, and annoyed, just like I am with your appa now, but after that, you must resolve it with discussions, communication, words of gratitude and apology if needed. There is no shame when it comes to owning up to mistakes and correcting them. That is what will make you my big boy, my all-the-more-loveable boy."

"What's wrong?" Jimin says, coming around to the younger. He wipes the stray tears from his face and gently cups his face into his hands. This has the younger omega bawling his eyes out, and he is soon engulfed in a tight hug. Jungkook nuzzles his head into Jimin's shoulder as the two remain seated on the floor, and Jimin rocks them back and forth. The younger does not eat that night and cries himself to sleep. It beaks Jimin's heart.

The next morning saw, Jimin unable to move, and it was then he realised that he'd fallen asleep holding Jungkookie, who now hugged him like a koala. Thanks to his routine, he'd woken from his slumber just in time, but if he couldn't wiggle himself out of the predicament that was Jungkook, he was bound to be late to report to the head lady-in-waiting. Of all rituals, he knew a bit about the one that was to be held today. 

The ritual was called the lending of colors, where the partners were to dress in each others favourite, and the attire too was considered a courting gift from the partners to the others, but given that both were royals, the colors would be that of their kingdoms. Jungkook was to receive an attire themed in blue while the Nevean royal color was green, and hence His Ilhanyan Majesty would be draped in green. The attires had already been decided and prepared , Jimin was to simply drop in to get the orders for the day and report requirements if any.

It had been quite the herculean effort to move the tiny omega who, despite seeming quite unlike it turned out to be really heavy and a deep sleeper.

That afternoon Jungkook found himself sitting in the garden with a couple of Ilhanyan individuals and court men who were supposedly Nevean. The last pre-ceremony ritual was to be conducted out in the open . The omega thanked the Yue for the fact that there were plenty of plants around where he'd been sat and he could look on the either sides to seek comfort in the presence of old tall trees. He'd been told that there was to be a discussion and he was to be an active part in it,but the court men literally kept the conversation going as Jungkook found himself tuning out. 

Much later in the evening came Jimin he had accompanied the Kim lord and yet again the old priest. Seokjin politely bowed to the young omega and laid a jaded platen on the table in front of him. The omega simply stared at them in confusion, he then noticed Namjoon steeping forward. He picked up the stuff on the plate and held it out for Junkook who'd seemed pretty out of it. A moment too late he simply stretched out his hands in acceptance, just a moment before Jimin was to prompt him to do the same. It was later he realised that it was the pre-ceremony ritual. 

He nodded in acknowledgement and just that way it dawned upon him that the next day he was to face his supposed partner. The pre-ceremony rituals were done and in perhaps a couple of days he'd probably have to leave behind all things he'd barely known only to perhaps never even return to a home he'd called his for all this time and to never see his meadow again.

The thought made him want to weep, but there were too many people surrounding him so the young omega only looked at the plants around and tried to regulate what he felt.

As the early evening rolled in the omega became quite anxious, and Jimin seemed to take notice of it.

"Kookie, is there something you wanna say?" The younger man simply looked at him wide-eyed.

"Do you want me to do something? Are you not feeling well?"

The younger looked, and then Jimin noticed his eyes flit to the door and then to the plant Seokjin had gifted him.

The elder simply went, picked up the plant, and saw Junkook's eyes stuck on it, following his movement.

He then came and stood in front of him with the plant in his outstretched hands.

" Would you like to have this?" That was all it took for the younger's face to crumble as he silently sobbed with the plant in his arms, almost hugging it. The younger simply receded into the duvet and wrapped himself in the blankets present, with the plant still in his arms and tears streaking down his face."

**********************

Hello dear reader!

There is much our sad bean has been through and much to improve but we'll get there eventually. Wait until you meet the others in the upcoming chapters. I'm currently drafting chapter 21 of the story. I'm excited at how things are turning out to be.

Happy new year dear reader and thanks for your patience!!

I'm always excited to know your speculations! I'd love to communicate!

Much love ;*