Chapter 5

"I'm Yohan, Gaon-ah." he stated. "You're safe with me, I promise."

The promise left his lips before he knew it, but he refused to take it back and Gaon seemingly relaxed, sinking against Yohan, head hiding in the crook of the older's neck with their intertwined hands between them.

"Yohan." Gaon repeated softly. "Yohan."

"That's right, I'm Yohan."

Looking up, he closed his eyes for a moment, simply breathing in and feeling Gaon lean into him.

However, the moment of peace was abruptly destroyed by Lawyer Ko clearing his throat pointedly. Instantly Gaon tensed and Yohan - holding the other so close he felt the sudden shift - turned his head slightly to the side, glaring at the lawyer with fire in his eyes and a promise of pain, keeping their hands exactly where they were and inwardly hoping Gaon wouldn't move.

"What." he growled.

"Uhm, the doctor, sir," murmured the other, subconsciously flinching back. "He was asking some questions to see if the surgery went well when Gaon-ssi started screaming. It appears as if he has lost his memories so Doctor Lee would like to continue the check-up and then talk with us about his prognosis and the eventual treatment. Also, Miss Elijah is calling, demanding to speak with you and Gaon-ssi. "

Exhaling deeply, Yohan pushed the irrational wish of just barricading himself and Gaon in the room until the younger relaxed and felt safe again down, carefully untangling their clasped hands. Lifting his head, the brunet let go, pulling his hand back to his chest, something strange crossing his face briefly.

"Are you feeling well enough to continue, Gaon-ah?" Yohan inquired quietly, immediately missing the touch of the other.

"I guess."

Thoughtfully, he eyed him, forehead furrowing as he noticed the tense lines of his body.

"You don't have to if you're not feeling up to it. They'll wait and let you rest."

"No," Gaon shook his head faintly, eyes dropping down. "There's no point in pushing it off any longer. The sooner I know what's going on the better."

Something was wrong and Yohan didn't know what it was, put on edge as he feverishly tried to figure it out.

"If that's what you want," he murmured strangely disappointed, getting up to stand beside Gaon's bed, resulting in bringing distance between them. "Tell Elijah we're calling her back later and call the doctor back in."

Nodding, the lawyer quickly wrote a message on his phone and waved the doctor and nurse back in. The doctor entered reluctantly, looking at Yohan warily as he stepped closer towards his patient.

"Ji-ssi, right?" he inquired and for a moment Yohan was confused before remembering that that was his cover name and nodded sharply.

"Yes. I'm an old friend of Gaon."

He glanced at the younger, careful to keep his face mostly blank, except the familiarity expected of an old friend.

With his hair down, his fringe hanging deeply into his eyes and wearing casual clothes he had always been able to shed of the persona of Chief Judge Kang Yohan and just be Yohan. He doubted anyone could identify him right now other than the one sitting in the hospital bed right now. If Gaon truly didn't remember he could accidentally blurt something out that would put him in danger...

"Well then, I'm glad to hear that Judge Kim has friends to rely on even with all his busy work," said the doctor friendly. "My name is Doctor Lee, and I was Judge Kim's main surgeon. Judge Kim, are you feeling well enough to continue the evaluation?"