Chapter 10

The first thing Yohan noticed was the silken fabric of the shirt clinging to his body and the rather uncomfortable stiffness of jeans around his legs. It was strange. Yohan couldn't remember the last time he had fallen asleep wearing such uncomfortable clothing, much less a shirt since no matter how soft or velvety the material was it always left a painful ache on his back. To think, he was now wearing something was unimaginable though the unfamiliar warmth surrounding him, lulled him back into the sweet nothingness, traitorous promises of peace and relief and safety on his mind.

The next thing that should have put him on edge were the unfamiliar weight behind him and the light pressure that seemed to encase him all around. It was too warm, too comfortable to be the fiery pit of hell he'd usually found himself in. For once, Yohan ignored the urge to figure out just what was going on, languidly set on enjoying this... this new, odd happening.

Something tightened around his waist, pulling him closer towards the radiating warmth and he wondered wryly what kind of dream his subconscious was trying to bring up now. Perhaps it was one of those pitiful attempts of imagining being held and adored. He had rather a lot of them in the last months, though they always turned out to be lacking. He had no references as to how it would feel to share a bed with someone, he could show his vulnerable side to and not just be a toy for pleasure.

A sudden warm gust of air against his neck caused his hazy thoughts to come to a screeching halt as he found himself paralysed with shock.

Abruptly snapping his eyes open he stared at the dark curtains dumbfounded. Ever so slowly his gaze travelled down his body at least to the golden blanket surrounding him. Exhaling shakily, he attempted to cautiously move his legs, finding them entangled with something foreign.

A low sigh behind him caused him to cease his actions instantly, ignoring the exhilarating shiver running down his sine.

Barely breathing, Yohan stayed frozen in place while his mind shifted between utter blankness and a flood of thoughts screaming to be heard. This was a very, very realistic dream.

He had never before dreamt about the other person or had felt their presence physically. His dreams must be getting weirder, more pathetic. Perhaps, he should tell his therapist about the illusions getting stronger...

Momentarily torn between getting up and ultimately ending the very strange dream or closing his eyes again to cherish it for as long as possible, he sighed dejectedly. He'd have to get up eventually, better to do it now before he started imagining other things.

Finding that he couldn't simply slip from beneath the covers as he had planned, Yohan decided to turn around instead. Usually, his dreams would end whenever he tried to see the person holding him. This time would be no different.

...

Eyes the colour of billowing clouds of volcanic ash – burying obsidian and jet in their depth stared back at him, soft and tender like they witness the most beautiful thing on earth, lips uttering a sleepy "Hyung" that left Yohan reeling.

Frantically, he tore his eyes from the ethereal sight, roaming with growing disbelieve through the now familiar bedroom and the even more familiar bed cover and lastly his own, calloused hands interlaced with the soft muscular arm coiled around his waist.

It all came back suddenly; the phone call and the plane ride and the unknown fear in his chest that only grew when he had heard screams echoing through the hospital. The horror when Gaon couldn't recognise him, the warmth when he held the younger close, the devastation when the first memory had been his death and the wonder when the brunet didn't pull away but so much closer if that was even possible. He remembered promising to stay but how he had ended up from the end of the bed to lying beside Gaon, much less being entirely wrapped around him remained a mystery. And how had he fallen asleep when the mere presence of another would usually cause him to stay awake for days with a hellish pain on his back?