Another opera

My dearest aves,

Thank you for last letter as always. I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your wonderful gift. It's beautiful, I immediately began wearing it. I was indeed talking about Freud, you always know what I mean. I bought you a bottle of Absinthe, since when do you drink it? I can't recall seeing you drink it. I always thought you thought it was bad for you. I think it's a lovely idea to host the same kind of dinner parties at home. You really should. it would bring some joy back into your life. I did find the perfect church but I want to thank you again for the beautiful present! I wore it today for the first time to Carmen, I'm sure you would have loved to see it in the Palais Garnier. It was beautiful. Oh fun coincidence Émile was there too so we shared an opera box. He is such fun company. You were right, his real name is Émilien and he thought you are a very bright young men. I must agree with him. I do not regret moving to Paris although I wish I could've taken you with me. I took your opera glasses to the opera too. They work very well. But we knew that already didn't we. I also attached the money you sent with the last letter because I want to gift you this bottle of Absinthe.

About the girl, you might be right. but do you see any other options? sometimes we must choose between the lesser of two evils. I will let you choose which one you deem the lesser. So you must decide That for yourself.

How's your sister? How's Eleanor.. why don't you marry her? I doubt it's easy to break her heart, she seems like a tough lady. And if you still think it's a bad idea' that's alright darling.

Your rain and tears,

Your dearest friend, Cyril Courtenay.

I put on my white tie. I'm going to see Lakmé. I'm taking Frances although she never showed a particular interest in opera's. But I dread going to the opera on my own. I know Cyril didn't actually like opera's but he loved showing his money. I always thought that was rather adorable, I don't know. Maybe I thought everything about him was rather adorable. Frances used to say I was far smarter than him, which might be true but I didn't care. And neither did he, we listened to eachother. We respected and loved eachother. Well, I hope so too. I look in the mirror and put my frock coat on. Frances comes into my room with a beautiful green dress. I smile. 'You look magnificent.'

I feel lost as I sip my wine in the foyer of the opera house. So many great memories were made here. But I toss that all aside and think about the singers and how they will blow me away as always. I've seen so many opera's and not in those any of those years have any disappointed me. I have a fondness for the mere sound of these living perfections of music. How brilliant it is to write a perfect song that will live on for so many years. I admire opera's, I feel a hand on my shoulder. It startles me. I turn around. 'Charles!' I exclaim, it's an old friend from University. He wanted to become a scotland yard officer. 'How are you?' I ask. He smiles 'you seemed startled, don't go too heavy on the wine.' I smile sure, does sherry count? because if so oops. 'I would never' I say laughing. 'but I'm good Yves, How are you?' 'I'm good, waiting to inherit my seat in the house of Lords before I can finally help the world a little. How about you?' he smiles 'I'm an officer!' I laugh 'Congratulations officer.' 'I'm a detective' 'Congratulations, I'm glad you followed your dreams' he nods. 'Oh and Yves, Meet Lavender, my fianceé.' the women steps forward. I instantly see she must be an aristocrat, how you might ask? Expensive and beautiful Jewellery to distract from her not so beautiful face. Charles must have been the only somewhat beautiful and rich guy she could get. I don't envy him. I smile and politely kiss her hand. She chuckles, 'You look ravishing madame, Charles is lucky to have you.' Frances appears next to me. 'Who might this be Yves?' Charles asks. I laugh and look him in the eye before saying 'Respectfully, she's my sister.' I see the regret on charles face, you could've had my beautiful sister, well I don't think you'd be enough for her but nonetheless. 'What family do you belong to?' Lavender asks. 'The Montague family.' I say and her face changes from superiority to shame. I smile.

We walk outside of the opera house. 'Frances, me and charles are planning on going to the Oxford gentlemen's club. Is it okay if I send you home?' she nods and we say our goodbyes. We walk through London. Laughing about the old shenanigans we used to pull back in UNI. I sigh. 'I can't believe it, I ended up an alone recluse and you have a fiancee.' I say. 'Hmm, it depends what you consider luck. Have you seen her face? I mean I love that women and her money but your sister is a real english rose.' I laugh. 'Don't talk about my sister that way my dear fella.' he laughs. 'You're so socially intelligent Yves, everybody likes you.' I laugh. 'Except my father." he nods. 'Except your father.' 'How's dear old Cyril? I didn't expect to see you without him. You two are inseperable.' I nod. 'Well, he is living in Paris for a year or two.' 'Wow, that unique. I nod. We arrive at the club and sit down in the sitting room. 'We should really talk more Yves.' 'Well, I must say life has been rather boring, maybe we should change that.' 'How do you mean?' 'You know the palatial mansion I got from my grandfather when he died?!' He nods. 'Imagine the most influential people of our time, controversial or not there, a feast that is two days long. And why? Because why not?' he smirks. 'I'm in, Yvie' I shake his hand. 'than it is decided, we'll throw the most outrageous and perfectly civilised party of this century.'