Are you a romantic

Yves Montague

We arrive at Katherina's home, both of us are absolutely drenched but also very happy. I want to say goodbye when she says: 'Yves, come in. It's far too cold an wet outside. Just wait till the rain calms down.' 'It's alright don't worry. I will be fine' I respond but she grabs me by my arm and yanks me into the house. She closes the door. 'You are soaking wet darling. I won't let you catch a cold, or something worse.' she says with an elegant smile and I chuckle.

She sighs. 'I forgot the help isn't here today.' 'Why is that a problem? I ask. She frowns 'Do you expect me to put of the hearth myself? I smile. 'You have me now don't you?' We walk into the sitting room and I start preparing the fire. 'Would you like something to drink Yves.' 'A cup of tea would be perfect.' I respond, she doesn't respond. I stand up, the first flames are slowly growing. 'Unless you don't know how to' I say jokingly and she chuckles. I simply laugh 'well, show me the kitchen and I'll show you how to make tea. It's incredibly easy.' I say.

We walk into the kitchen. 'Do you have any tea?' She shakes her head. I smirk. 'Well good thing I had an earl grey bland prepared for breakfast.' I grab the earl grey from the basket. 'This one is French earl grey meaning it is simply earl grey with rose petals.' She nods, listening intently. 'Would you like a cup?' I ask and she anwers affirmatively, I fill the kettle with water when she splashes me in the face. 'Hey! I came here to be dry.' I any jokingly but all she does is smirk. I make the tea when she wants to put milk firsi in her cup. I stop her. 'If you ever do that somewhere else, like britain, they'll think you are lower class dear.' I slice a lemon to put in the tea. It doesn's add much taste but it shows how such money you have, that's why I an used to it. as I an cutting the part for her she hugs me from behind and presses her cheek lovingly in my shoulderblade. I smile, but it reminds me so much of Cyril and that makes me melancholic and sick to my stomach, I want to love her, I wish to forget him, I can't help that I think about him, but I try my best to hide it.

'May I have a slice of that lemon?' I frown, and give it to her. she just bites in it and her face makes a rather adorable expression. 'Is it tasty?' I say with an arrogant smirk. 'Very' she says laughing as she grabs a piece and tries to put it in my mouth. 'No!' I say with a laugh but after some time I give up and bite into it. She laugh at me as I am trying to rinse put the sour taste. 'How do you  even enjoy that! It's so bad, You are a strange and foul lady.' She laughs 'you don't  even know that yet darling' the says with a smile

We sit down in front of the warm fire and take a sip of the tea. She smiles at me, 'It is delicious Yves.' she smiles and looks me deep in the eyes so I can look into hers. They are as blue as the newborn sky announcing the day to all mourners and fighters. I wonder what she is thinking as she is studying my depressingly deathly dark eyes. Can she read that there's not much love to give in there I wonder, I really do. 'Did you know that your black eyes almost seem green' She says, answering my question without having to ask. I shake my head, I didn't really know.

'What is the first thing you thought when you saw me.' She asks my mind instantly knows the answer, I thought that the best thing would be to run away, not to get involved with you, 'My first thought s when seeing you should've been that you must be very beautiful, you are very beautiful but all could see was how much your eyes reflected Cyril. but I don't say it. 'I noticed how dark your hair was compared to your eyes Katherina. And what a beautiful dress you were wearing.' She smiles and tilts her head like a puppy would do when it's trying to signal it doesn't understand. Would she be trying to signal that very same? 'What did you think when you saw me?' I ask and she smirks.

'I saw you were different Yves. You have or had absolutely no desire to be introduced to me altough you knew the rumours about me and my fortune. it comes to show how rich you are Yves, you don't even think about money, besides that I love how you accesorized your ensemble to showcase had personality to draw on. You were not a blank slate for society to draw on, You were intriguing.' I don't know what to say, the just gave me no many compliments and I don't know how or why she saw me like that. 'I am speechless.' I respond. 'I didn't know a man could be' She says jokingly. 'They always have something to complain about. don't they' she goes on and I smile. 'You're not wrong.'

'Are you romantic Yves?' now I tilt my head, wondering if I am and why she has asked the question. I clear my throat and bite my lips as I frown. I look slightly up so I will not feel obliged to look her in the eyes and risking the tears to be spotted. I look at the beam above the hearth I notice it is slightly aslant, those are the details that love we sane, that keep me here. I focus on them in order not to be reminded of things I do not want to feel. I take a deep breath.

'I have always believed in love, but I believe it is incredibly rare. I de believe there should be one heart in this whole world is world that fits perfect into the hollow one of the other, so to answer your question.' I look her in the eyes. 'so yes, I am afraid I am...... I am a romantic.' 'No need to be afraid of it darling. how could love ever be something to be at afraid of' she asks. I look down. 'You are right.' Oh naive, sweet, young, beautiful Katherina. Perhaps loving is nothing to be afraid of but losing it that is what we should fear. That is what I fear and if I won't pick up the courage to tell you the truth I might make you just as frightened of love as I am.

I am sorry in advance.

But I do not have the courage. Yet.