Part 1 // "You must be Juliette"

Jules (two months before the 2023 season):

I heard the crowd yell my name as I got out of the car. I climbed on top of it and threw my fists into the air. I did it.  I had just won the formula 2 2022 championship. 

I looked at the sky with tears in my eyes and thought about everyone who had made this possible for me. I jumped back on the ground and ran to the mechanics and strategists who were waiting for me. I hugged them all and said thank you so many times that I forgot the count.

On the podium I let the champagne shower wash over me. This was a feeling I would never forget. All the cheering, the national anthem of France and the trophy. I was holding it, in my hands.

After many interviews and even more hugs I walked to my drivers room. While I was in the shower I started to think about next year. I didn't want to keep my hopes up too high. But maybe, just maybe I could have a chance in formula 1 next year.

Last year I was second in the championship. It sucked, even more when I didn't get a spot in formula 1. I thought second might've been enough. But it wasn't. So I worked harder and now I could call myself the formula 2 champion.

A smile spread on my face as I walked out the shower.

I did it. 

Jules (one month before the 2023 season)

I looked at the building in front of me with wide eyes. It was just a few weeks ago when Laurent Mekies, the Team Principal of Alphatauri, called me. 

Today I was going to meet my teammate and my race engineer. After that I still had to have a meeting with the CEO. 

I was quite nervous when I walked in. I wiped my sweaty hands on the sides of my pants and looked to my side with relief. Luckily, I didn't have to go alone. Simon, my personal trainer and dear friend, came with me. 

His beard was longer than usual, which made him look older and for once he had styled his hair in a proper way. I wished my parents were there too, but they didn't have time to come all the way from France to Italy. 

"Hey, you must be Juliette." a short woman with curly hair said. I smiled. "Yes that's me. I brought my coach, Simon, with me. I hope that isn't a problem." The lady shook her head quickly. "Ofcourse not." she said as she shook our hands. "Follow me." 

The lady walked through the empty hallway to the elevator and pressed the button. 

"My name is Carol. I'm an assistant and I'll bring you guys to the main room." she said while the elevator opened. "The rest has already arived, but I was told to wait for you. To show you the way." she said. 

Carol had calmed my nerves a bit. Her sweet smile made me sweat atleast a little less. I looked to my right to see Simon with a grin on his face. I didn't think he had ever been nervous or maybe he was just really good at hiding it.

When the elevator opened again Carol led us to the main room. When we walked in I was holding my breath and my eyes scanned the room. There were several tables, but most of the people were standing up and talking to others. 

There were guys in costumes who were holding plates of champagne and I quickly grabbed one to calm my nerves. Simon linked his arm through mine and while Carol said goodbye and walked away he led us to a group of people. 

Laurent was laughing and talking with my teammate; Yuki Tsunoda. I recognized him because I watched F1 and only two years ago he was still in F2. 

"There she is." Laurent suddenly said. He walked towards us and gave us a hug. Yuki followed after him. "Thank you for the invitation." I said. 

He smiled. "Ofcourse, you had to be here. Considering you're our new driver next year!" he said. "You were amazing last year. I've been watching you for quite some time now." I smiled at his words. 

I looked at Yuki and he was also smiling. I felt my cheeks cooling down and my hands were less sweaty. It felt like this was going to be an amazing year.

Jules (a few weeks before the 2023 season)

After what felt like thousands of meetings I finally had a quiet day. My engineer was super nice and Yuki was really funny. We hung out a few times and already had a few photoshoots together. 

Yesterday was a long day and I was exhausted. I was lying on my bed in my new appartement when I heard a knock on the door. When I opened it I saw Simon standing with a big smile. 

"Hey sunshine." he said. I rolled my eyes. He always called me this and I thought nicknames were pretty lame. "Geez Jules, did you have any sleep last night?" he asked. 

Although I hated nicknames Jule or Jules were names I could accept. They sounded way cooler than Juliette. I've always thought that my name was boring.

"Not really, yesterday was a long day." I answered. He walked in and sat down on my bed. "Well, too bad 'cause I have some exercises for you." I let out a sigh at lay down next to him with my head on my pillow. "Come on Jules, the first race is in a few weeks." he said. "No, I just want one day off. One day." I whined. 

I knew it wasn't going to work. Simon was a good coach, that also meant that he was strict. I sat back up en looked at him. "Fine, just let me get ready." I said. He smiled at me. "That's my girl!" he yelled while I walked into the bedroom.

Sometimes I wondered if I really wanted this. But then I remembered that I didn't have another choice. I dropped out of school for this. My parents gave everything so I could do this. 

That's why I kept going. Even though everyone I came across told me I would never be good enough. Just because I was a girl.

...

So, what do you guys think? 

This was a short and pretty boring chapter to get into the story. 

Hopefully you liked it!! 

<3333