Part 9 // "Hold it please!"

Max

The first qualifying session was in a few minutes. I was already in my car trying to clear my head. Christian still wasn't happy with me. 

"How could you make an enemy before the season has even started?"  I remembered him saying.

Me walking out with Lavigne while talking undid some damage, but some people thought it was fake. It obviously was. I mean just before we walked out we didn't say a word and how could anyone believe we went from hating to liking in a few days.

"If you don't fix this yourself I'll do it with Tom." he had said me. 

Tom was my PR manager, he wouldn't like this. But he must've known about this. Who didn't know it already?

...

Jules

My first qualifying session for a race in F1 was in a few minutes. I was stressed. Really stressed. But I could do this, I would do great. I've been repeating those words like a mantra in my head the whole day. I was sitting in the car for about 10 minutes, trying to calm down. 

Breath in, breath out. Focus on your heartbeat.

I knew that my parents were watching at home on the television. I was going to make them proud. Because I could do this. 

The only problem was Max. This morning Alice came to me and told me it wasn't fixed yet. I needed to try harder, otherwise she would handle it her way. I didn't want to know how she would do it. But I could tell I wouldn't like it. 

Stop. I needed to focus.

...

Narrator

'Q1 just started in Bahrain and it looks like a lot of cars are already going out.'  the presenter said speaking into his microphone.

Both Redbulls were out and after a lap of warming the tyres Max pushed down onto his throttle.

'Max Verstappen goes for a flying lap now.'

'I'm curious how he'll do.'

'I'm pretty sure that he'll do amazing considering he killed it in every practise session.'

While the presenters chitchatted Jules started her first flying lap. She could hear the audience, she could hear her heartbeat and she loved it. The rush that racing gave her was one that could never be beaten. Nothing else got her this exited and nothing made her ever feel this free.

'Juliette Lavigne, the rookie, started a flying lap.'

'She's doing pretty well in the first sector.'

'Look at her go, she's just a rookie.'

'Also her second sector is really good.'

'She clearly knows what she's doing.'

'Look at how she turns in turn 13, so smoothly.'

'Let's see where that brings her.'

'Sixth position!'

'Amazing for a rookie.'

'Definitly.'

Jules crossed the line and immediatly went in for another lap.