Part 20 // "I didn't"

Max

The morning after a party always hit hard. As a professional athlete I know I shouldn't party and drink too much. I never did. Until it felt like a great way to escape the proximity of Lavigne. Once again we had to travel together to the US. Luckily, because we were following the PR rules well, we could take Yuki and Daniel with us. The stupid stunt was working; I didn't get annoying questions anymore, I got some good brand deals and it looked like Lavigne also had good attention from the media. I had a feeling that it wouldn't be long until we were free from this and eachother.

But before that could happen, we still had to do things I wish we didn't. The party was still playing in my head. The way Lavigne talked to her friends, with that smile that made me want to smile. I knew it sounded weird, but it was the truth. I found myself getting happy by making her happy, even though I was supposed to dislike her. Maybe I didn't. 

No-- I did. I had to pretend I didn't and then I almost forgot that I did. 

I slowly opened my eyes as I looked around the room. I remembered getting to my room last night. I didn't recall Daniel coming with me. I looked at him lying on the ground, still very much asleep. Somehow it seemed like I forgot something. I didn't get why. I wasn't that drunk. I wasn't drunk at all. I drove home and I never drove drunk.

I tried to shrug the feeling off as I took a shower and put on fresh clothes. Daniel had woken up by the time I left the bathroom and he yawned while stretching.

"Good morning." I told him. He just smiled at me and got up. "Is it?" he questioned me. I looked at him confused as he walked towards me. "What do you mean?" I asked him. "What happened yesterday?" he asked me. I dived deep into my memories, trying to piece the puzzle together.

Truth or dare, driving to the hotel, going to my room- Suddenly I did remember. I got out of the room to some extra waterbottles and when I got out I bumped into her. What did she say? What did I say? Why couldn't I remember this?

"What do you know?" I asked Daniel desperate. "All I know is that you went to get water and that I heard you talk to Jules." he explained. "So, did anything hapen?" he asked curious. "No!" I answered quickly. "We're talking about me and Lavigne. There is nothing that could hapen." I told him. He just shrugged and went to the bathroom. 

I walked up to the closed door. "Was I that drunk?" I asked him on the other side of the door. For a moment he was silent. "When we got here, we drank the entire mini bar." he said. "Well, you did mostly." he followed. "Why would I do that?" I asked mostly myself. "You were a little upset." was all that Daniel said. I tried to think why I was.

I drove her back and we talked which ended up in fighting, like it usually did. But still, I couldn't recall the exact words that were exchanged. It was early. I was sure that if I just took a pain killer and rested for a while, all my memories would come back to me.

...

Jules

"Would he remember?" I asked Sophia anxiously. I went to her the first thing in the morning and Bianca followed a little after. 

"I mean, he did drink a bit." Sophia started. "But not that much." Bianca finished for her. "I just hope he doesn't remember. Then I'll act like nothing happened and we go back to disliking eachother." I continued. 

Sophia rubbed my back. "Is that really what you want?" she asked. I sighed but didn't answer. Because I knew I didn't like what the answer would be.