Part 11 // "He's wearing a suit."

Jules

I couldn't believe I actually got in his car. I also couldn't believe how clean it was. Although Max did seem like a control freak who wanted everything to be neat.

He sighed deaply as he got in and put his arm on the back of my seat to reverse. His face turned my way while his left hand turned the wheel perfectly. I tried not to, but it was hard to keep my eyes away from his arm. Because his suit fit perfectly around those muscles and his face was so close to mine it felt like the temperature rised. I quickly looked the other way touching my cheeks with my hand trying to cool down.

Men in suits really did something to me.

"Everything okay?" he asked me when we left the parking lot. "I'm fine." I lied still looking out the window. Why did he act like he cared? Why did driving with him make me so flushed and confused.

It was the suit.

It had to be the suit.

The tie made him look like a business man and I've always loved to pull at ties. A suit just made a man look better. It was a known fact. I was sure Bianca and Sophia would agree and I couldn't wait to see them at the party. But now I was in a car with Max Verstappen. That wasn't on my bingo card this year. And because we didn't say anything or the radio wasn't on I could hear his breath. I was sure he could hear mine too. I couldn't stand the silence anymore.

"If we have to pretend we're friends. We should know more about eachother." I said breaking the silence. I turned my head to look at him and his eyes were on the road. "What do you want to know?" he simply answered without looking my way. His hand turned the steering wheel so smoothly that it was hard to look away. "Let's start with family." I sugested. He sighed deeply. Was it something he didn't like to talk about?

"Or something else?" I quickly said. "Favorite food?" I asked him looking at his face now. "I like Italian food." he answered, eyes still in front of him. Which was good obviously. I don't know why I wanted him to look at me.

"When was your first race?" he asked me. "Probably karting when I was around 8 years old." I answered. I remembered it pretty well. I didn't win, I mean it was only my first race so what did I expect? Other kids told me it was because I was a girl and girls didn't race. That's why in formula 1 there were only boys. I believed them. But luckily my mom and dad comforted me and that's why I never gave up. So I could prove to those kids that it was possible.

...

Max

I didn't want to talk about family. Was it obvious? Why else would she quickly change the question? Atleast she didn't push me when she noticed I didn't like that topic. I didn't take her for someone who would. But maybe she would with me. Because I've been a jerk to her since day one.

I carefully looked her way. She was looking down. Smiling a little. Before I knew it I felt a smile spread on my lips aswell. What was happening to me?

"What's your biggest dream?" I asked her while trying to focus on the road. It was hard when her hair looked so soft in this low lighting.

"That's a serious question." she started. As she looked up I tried to casually look back to the road. "I think it's to make everyone proud. And to inspire little girls." she answered. "Let me guess yours. To become a world champion again?" she asked rolling her eyes. "It is." I simply answered. What was wrong with that? She just nodded and looked back out the window again. For a while there was silence again. But then she took a deep breath like she wanted to say something. But she didn't.

I kinda wish she did.

...

We finally arived and as I parked the car, I already noticed the flashing lights of cameras outside. I looked at Jules and she definitely saw them too. She looked hesitant to open the door. "Wait." I told her.