Part 10 // "How dare he/she?"

Jules

The last thing I saw before the doors closed was Max. Obviously. I noticed the way he looked down and sighed, in a way I never imagined him doing. Like he didn't feel so sure of himself anymore. But he always did. I let his words sink in while staring at the closed elevator doors.

'I'm scared I'll be no one when I'm not what they expect.'

Was it really just an act? Was he actually a really nice person? It couldn't be. He was just messing with my head. 

I turned around and walked towards my door. I needed to sleep. I looked at my phone while getting inside. I had one message from Alice. 

'Meeting tomorrow after the race.' it said.

What would that be about? I fell down on my bed and just closed my eyes. Qualifying 11th wasn't that bad. It wasn't bad at all. Everyone congratulated me. Well almost everyone. I still couldn't believe he didn't just hold the doors open for me. He didn't even know that it was me. That proved to me that he was just a jerk. Even though for a split second it seemed like an act. It wasn't. It couldn't be.

...

I woke up early and took a cold shower. Today was my first race. I was really exited and nervous. I couldn't tell if the stomach flipping feeling was a good one or that I would be sick again. I met up with Yuki to go eat breakfast. We always stayed at the same hotel, because we were teammates. I took the elevator two floors up and when they opened I walked towards his room. 

"Jules!" someone yelled at me. I turned around and was greeted by a big smile. It was Daniel. He came up to me and gave me hug. "Ready for your first race?" he asked me. "I hope so." I answered. He laughed while turning his head. 

"Max don't hide!" he yelled. I looked over his shoulder and saw Max standing a few feet away. He looked up like he didn't realize I was there and smiled. I could tell it was fake. 

"Good morning." he said while walking up to me and giving me an akward hug. He smelled like soap. But I didn't know what kind. He looked like someone who just bought the first thing they saw.

"Morning." I answered. If it was a good morning I wouldn't be here next to him and I wouldn't have this terrible feeling in my stomach. 

I knocked on Yuki's door and he immediatly opened. He smiled at me and walked out. 

"Yuki San." Daniel said while shaking his hand. Yuki laughed and shook hands with Max too. But he was laughing a little less. 

"Let's go I'm starving." Daniel said and he pressed the button of the elevator. I turned to look at Max, but he was already looking. Those blue eyes. 

So blue.

So full of lies. 

How could he tell me that personal stuff yesterday and now look at me with that hard look again. The soft eyes he had yesterday were gone. But really, they were never there. It was just him beeing him and trying to get into my head just before my first race. How dare he?

...

Max

Her hair was in a braid. It had never been that way before. Atleast, I've never seen her with it before.

It looked special. 

Actually, it looked quite nice. 

Really nice.

She turned her head and looked in my eyes. It seemed like she forgot about yesterday. I thought she would feel sympathy for me. She clearly didn't. I told her about something I had never told anyone else and the next day she acted like nothing had happend.