Part 2 // "Who are you?"

Jules

It was the end of February and I had just arrived at my hotel in Bahrain. Today was pre-season testing. You could tell I was nervous based on how little I was eating that morning.

"I can't, it'll come back out." I said to Simon who was sitting next to me. In front of me was Yuki. He looked at my plate and back to me. 

"You got to eat, Jules." he said quite worried. I took a deep breath and looked at the eggs on my plate. Even the thought of eating it made me nauseous. 

"Please, eat." Simon said. "You'll faint in the car if you don't eat." 

I took a bite from the egg and closed my eyes. After I swallowed it, I felt like I was going to puke. I got up as fast as I could and ran to the toilet. I didn't think about it, I just ran. As soon as I turned around the corner I bumped into someone. 

"Excuse me?" I heard them say. But I didn't have time for this. 

I quickly ran until I was finally in the bathroom. I threw up into the toilet and wiped my mouth with a tissue. After some deep breathes I rested my head on the closed door and  sat there for some time.

All kinds of thoughts flew through my mind. But I had to focus. I had to prove myself. "Breath in, breath out. Focus on your heartbeat." I could hear my mom say in my mind. I wished she was here so badly. 

After I had calmed myself down, I got back up and walked back to my table. When I sat down Yuki asked me if I was alright. "Yeah, I'm fine. I think I can eat again. I'ts just the nerves." I answered. Next to me I heard Simon laughing silently. 

"What's wrong?" I asked. He pointed to my left and I saw a group of people standing around a guy.  "What?" I asked again. "You just bumped into someone, right?" he asked. "Yeah, I did. But I was busy keeping this egg inside of me." I answered. 

He had an amused look on his face that I didn't trust. "Well, because of that, the guy spilled his whole plate of food onto himself." I look at him with a worried look. "You think that's funny? I didn't even say sorry." Simon started laughing again. 

I rolled my eyes and decided to find the guy I had bumped into. When I got up and looked to my left again I could see who it was. Oh no. There he stood, silently cursing and trying to get the sauce out of his shirt. 

Max Verstappen. The current World Champion. With a red face and sauce all over his shirt. 

Nope I couldn't do this. 

I had never met Max before and to be honest, I was kinda scared of him. I sat back down and shook my head. "Nope, I'm not doing this." I said. "You have to tell him." Yuki answered. "If he doesn't know it's me, why should I tell him?" I asked. "Because that's the right thing to do." he answered. I just sighed and looked the other way. 

"He's going to find it out eventually." Simon, who had finally stopped laughing, said. "Well, better tomorrow then today. I'm already stressed about testing." I said. Simon brushed my shoulder. "It's going to be alright, trust me. You're an amazing driver." He said reassuring. "I was in F2, now I'm a rookie. I have to be great, so I can prove that I'm worthy of my spot." 

"Don't worry. Eat." He pushed my plate back in front of my nose. 

I took a deep breath and took a bite. This time I swallowed it and took another bite. 'Breath in, breath out.'  Simon smiled at me, happy that I was eating. I tried to forget the fact that I bumped into Max and calm down. I had to focus now.

...

Max