CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Konohamaru plops down with Sakura on her office couch, with a sigh of exhaustion as he unzips his blue jacket with a brown zipper; revealing a black round necked undershirt.

Then he slaps his left hand down unto his thigh. " How can anyone have such a cruel job as yours, it's so taxing " He said, " well tell me about it. That's my daily life, " Sakura replied.

" I should have thought twice about it, when I decided to follow along, " " today shouldn't have been this hard, but some little things happen and the hospital finds itself hard at work ".

Konohamaru frowns. " It still angers me to see such a deep cut to the throat, that kid could have died " said Konohamaru.

Sakura heaves a sigh.

" I'm just glad they rushed him in as fast as they did, accidents happen. But an eight year old shouldn't really have been handling a katana, " " I just think the father is irresponsible. Being Shinobis doesn't stop us from getting hurt by the very weapons we make to protect ourselves, "

" You did say your piece to the boy's father. Put it out of your mind, all we have to be glad for is that we saved the boy, and I had you there to assist me along with the other nurses " said Sakura with a smile.

Konohamaru looked at Sakura surprised by how carefree she was about the whole thing.

" You're so cool and calm, how do you do it. Sometimes, I struggle when I see such gruesome sights " said Konohamaru, " some horrid images stick with you. I have some from the war, but dealing with them is all about reminding yourself there is nothing you could have done... Thankfully though, we were able to save that kid today, so there is no reason to crawl into a dark space " she said.

" Tsk. You're one heck of a medic, the best without a doubt, " " thank you. I will gladly take that compliment. Little brother " said Sakura smiling.

" W- wait, you just– you, " Konohamaru gets up abruptly, turning towards Sakura with a elated and disbelieving expression on his face, " tell me I didn't here you wrong " He asked.

Sakura folds her arms with a grin, " you're such a child. And no you didn't hear me wrong, why, do you not like the term? I won't change it or take it back, even if you beg me to " she said.

" I would never dream it... Hmm, this calls for a celebration ", " celebration? Aren't you too tired for that, cause I am "

Konohamaru sighs, bending over slightly with arms dangling at his sides.

" Fine, I'll walk you home instead ", " why. I can sleep here, and I mean it's not been that– ",

Konohamaru points his right thumb back at the wall clock above the door frame, Sakura's eyes tilts over and she sees it's sometime early in the evening.

" No offense big sis, but you don't smell all that good. I mean, when last did you take a bath and got a good night's sleep. Something which I fear you really need, there are already noticeable dark circles around your eyes " said Konohamaru.

Sakura rose up abruptly, and Konohamaru steps back in his defense, " tch, don't go getting scared after speaking so boldly " she said turning away.

Konohamaru couldn't deny that Sakura was spot on, and watched in silence as the pink haired takes off her lab coat and hung it back on the wall. Sakura looks over to her book shelf, and a thought crosses her mind.

" Where are you at with that book, you wanted to read yesterday? " She asked, " that? I haven't had time to read it, I've barely passed the first page. I just took it home with me, for when I get the chance. Which I thought I would, but duty called me away ".