21. Good Boy Gone Bad

Hendery, despite wanting to, decided against saying goodbye to Yangyang before heading back to his Kingdom.

He had discovered a lot during his trip here in the Kingdom of Korea, but a lot had been going on during the past few days, and his guards received a message that Hendery's father wanted him back home as soon as possible before anything else happened to him.

And he had a lot to relay to his father. He had a feeling that the Korean royal family did have good intentions, but someone was out to destroy the relationship between the two kingdoms. What did they want? A war? Was this a sense of extreme nationalism? Or was it a complicated way of removing the Park family from their positions?

No thinking of what ifs. Hendery had more pressing matters to attend to. He had to return to his kingdom safely, and hope there was no upcoming danger. Or realistically, be prepared for it.

He only hoped that Yangyang would be safe in the meantime.

Hendery shook his head, focusing on the road while riding his horse. He had to stay focused. Yangyang wasn't going away, anyways. Yet why did it hurt Hendery so much?

"YOUR HIGHNESS!"

Before Hendery could even turn around to react, he felt something pierce his shoulder, and to his surprise, it was an arrow.

"STAND BACK!" a lot of his royal guards were saying to someone behind him. Despite the pain already manifesting already in the right side of Hendery's body, he turned around to see what the commotion was about.

There, on the top of the hill that they had passed by, stood a small teen, bows and arrows in his hand, and the cold glare in his eyes was unsettling to Hendery, almost as if the teen weren't human.

"WHO ARE YOU?"

"PUT THE WEAPON DOWN!"

"DO YOU WORK FOR THE PARK FAMILY?"

The teen lifted up another arrow, and all the guardings started scrambling, ushering Hendery to run away, but yet he didn't have the energy to move, his whole body filing with fatigue.

"My name is Renjun and I have been assigned to kill Prince Hendery," he said, launching another arrow, and as Hendery could feel his eyes close, he realized the arrows had been poisoned.

***

When Chen Le finally woke up, he was surprised to see Yangyang sitting on a chair pulled up next to the bed.

"What- what are you doing here?" Chen Le said slowly, his eyes blinking as he got adjusted to the light. His head was throbbing. What did he even do while he was out?

"You have a concussion." Yangyang grabbed a bowl that had been set on the bedside and held it in his hands, waiting for Chen Le to sit up. "You need to eat."

Chen Le nodded, looking around the room. He realized they must be in Xiaojun's house, but... wasn't he walking with Jisung earlier?

"Where's Jisung?" Chen Le asked, watching Yangyang put the bowl of soup on Chen Le's lap. "He was with me-"

"He's fine. He brought you here. You need to eat this."

Chen Le yawned, staring at the soup in his lap. He wasn't really hungry, but seeing Yangyang all serious was a rare sight, and Chen Le wasn't going to defy him.

He picked up the spoon, staring at the broth. "What happened while I was out?"

Yangyang stared at him in silence, so Chen Le took that as an opportunity to try the soup.

"I don't know," Yangyang said finally. "All I know is that you and Prince Jisung were attacked, and they were wearing the uniform of the Chinese guard-"