4. Bad Timing

The croissant was delicious. In fact, it was so delicious that it was worth dying for.

The baker, a guy around Johnny's age who went by the name Taeil, apparently always made desserts for the people in the palace, including the royal family. The young Prince Jisung was known to sneak in the kitchen at midnight for chocolate donuts, but only if they had sprinkles.

Donghyuck must have had like five croissants, all with different fillings. Taeil and his assistant, a Chinese immigrant who went by Si Cheng, had been making a variety of pastries for the so-called private gala tonight. He didn't even know that croissants with raspberries existed, and yet here he was eating one. You learn something new every day.

During their time there, when Si Cheng brought in a cart with supplies, Donghyuck could see two boys hiding between the flour bags but held his tongue. He didn't exactly agree that you should die for stealing, and he was no snitch.

Afterwards, Johnny then took him to the hospital wing while pointing out different things on their way there. Johnny even knew at least two secret passageways, one where he goes to take a nap. Donghyuck will have to remember to check them out one day.

In the hospital wing, Johnny knocked on one of the small doors. "Ten! It's me, I brought my brother!"

The door opened to reveal the familiar short male. "Hey, how's it going?" Ten said, closing the door behind him. He was in a doctor's coat, so this was probably his office.

"Just showing the fam the ropes, you know," Johnny explained. "I got him croissants."

Ten pouted. "You didn't bring me any."

"Stealing in the palace is a crime punishable by death, you know," Johnny quoted Donghyuck from earlier.

"You think I care about death here? It was Taeil's pastries, wasn't it? You think death is going to stop me from his blueberry and cream cheese croissants?"

"Oh, those were really good!" Donghyuck exclaimed. He remembers eating two of those, right when Si Cheng pulled the batch from the oven. He would have grabbed a third but then they made cherry ones.

Ten crossed his arms over his chest. "I'm offended."

"Anyways, I wanted to see if you were free right now," Johnny said. "Donghyuck wants to explore the palace and you have more access to certain areas, plus you've been here longer."

Ten shook his head. "I'm sorry, but due to private circumstances-"

"The private gala-"

"Yeah that." Ten sighed. "I really can't, you know the rules. What if someone tries to kill the king or something? I have to be there for aid."

"No one's going to attempt anything today," Johnny said. "Well, I'll come back later and see if you're still busy."

"Only if you freaking bring me a croissant."

***

Two Chinese boys stumbled their way out of the kitchen and hid beneath the staircase.

"This is so cool!" the elder one said. "The palace from the inside looks ten times better than what the magazines show!"

"Okay, Yangyang, you had your view, now can we get out of here?" the younger one asked. "What if we get in trouble?"

"We're not going to get in trouble, Chen Le, you need to stop worrying," Yangyang waved him off. "Besides, we're going to be careful, no one will catch us."

They stayed there for a bit, waiting till the coast was clear before they continued to walk down the corridors. There were guards at every corner, and you only had to take one look at them and the rags they called clothing to know that they didn't belong here in the palace. However, Yangyang, as an avid fan of the royal family, the palace, and everything grand, had claimed that it was necessary for him to come and visit as he may never have the chance again. Chen Le had no choice but to comply with his best friend.