22. On the Run

Jisung walked through the doors of the huge throne room, Yuta standing right besides him along with his other men.

They have arrived quickly back to Neo City, with one of the assassins... "Mark" being thrown into the prison, his execution to be scheduled later.

Jisung's guards have attempted to pry him for information, but all Mark would yell was that Donghyuck was in danger. When asked about who Donghyuck was, he refused to elaborate.

They had more questions than answers of who was attempting to hurt the royal family, but Jisung had to relay the information to his father immediately.

The King sat in the throne room, his own guards surrounding him. Security in the palace had doubled since the last assassination attempt, and it wasn't going to loosen up anytime soon.

"My son," King Park said, gesturing for Jisung to come forward. "You have come in one piece."

"Father." Jisung got down on one knee, bowing his head slightly while Yuta also followed suit. "I come as a bearer of bad news-"

The doors burst open again, this time, the royal advisor Lee-eun coming through with his men. "Dears heavens, Prince Jisung, we are so gracious that you are here safe!"

Yuta scowled, muttering a string of curses under his breath that luckily only Jisung managed to hear.

"I am thankful for my men protecting me," Jisung replied, keeping his voice neutral. "I was about to tell my father about the incident-"

"Your honor." Lee-eun stood in front of King Park, bowing down. "I know who's behind the attacks, it's the Chinese-"

"Wait, what?!" Jisung interrupted Lee-eun, inciting the others in the room to start whispering and murmuring to each other. "How do you know that?"

"There were witnesses that claim that you have been attacked," Lee-eun continued. Then, turning his attention to the King, he said, "The town is near the border, which is no doubt where King Huang must have had some of his men hidden-"

"It was not the Kingdom of China's doing," Yuta spoke up. "Your royal highness. It's our own people's."

"Our own people- they had the uniform of the Chinese guard!" Lee-eun argued. "And the micro-aggressions the King had been sending our way, and those people and assassins aren't in the database! What else do you supposed it could be-"

"I recognized some of them to have formerly worked with you," Yuta said. Jisung could hear how Yuta was holding himself back from cussing out Lee-eun.

"Well, it's no surprise, I had to fire some because they were incompetent! No doubt they would betray us and join the other side-"

Two of the King's guards pointed their swords between Yuta and Lee-eun, who had gotten closer during their argument and by habit, were reaching for their own swords.

"I want my people to investigate whether it was King Huang's doing," King Park said. "Get ready to draft a statement of war-"

"It is NOT the Chinese Kingdom's doing!!" Jisung yelled over everyone. "Why won't you listen to me-"

"Your honor, they are protecting them due to their Chinese lovers," Lee-eun continued. "They come from a skewed standpoint. A bit bias, if you must."

Yuta's face darkened. As the swords were preventing him from getting closer to Lee-eun, all he could do was scowl. "Excuse me?"

"Why, rumor has it you've been with some bakery boy," Lee-eun continued. "And, your honor, it seems like your son has grown up! He has been seen courting with one of the Chinese peasants-"