13. A Mystery

Next to SM Town, there was a small village called Weishen, and despite being in the Kingdom of Korea, had a Chinese name.

Jungwoo was the only Korean in the small village, the others mainly being native Chinese or, rarely, Cantonese speakers. The village having no Koreans but yet being part of the Kingdom of Korea was one of the main reasons the two countries had tensions with each other, though the current borders have been established over fifty years.

Thus, when Jungwoo met him, he was able to understand his Cantonese completely.

His mother had been asleep and Jungwoo was staying up when he wasn't supposed to; he often stayed up for hours, looking outside the window, staring at the moonlight if he had a nightmare, which is what he had been doing when he saw him outside.

The man had run across the field at a frighteningly quick speed, causing Jungwoo to stand up to see what was going on just to see him collapse in the middle of the field outside his house.

Now worried, Jungwoo pushed off his blanket from his lap and quickly opened the sliding door of their living room, making sure not to wake his mother up, when he sprinted outside to help the fallen man.

His socks felt squishy as they got wet from the grass (it had rained earlier, which was really peaceful to watch) so he almost caught himself slipping a few times, but he managed to head over to where the man had fallen.

It was dark, so Jungwoo couldn't see his face clearly, but he looked a bit older, though Jungwoo couldn't pinpoint it exactly. He did look familiar, though, but Jungwoo had no clue from where.

He bent down to look at the stranger's face, startled by all the sweat and blood on him, when the stranger opened his eyes and looked straight at him.

Jungwoo took a step back, startled, but the stranger held his hand out to grab him and looked at him dead in the eye.

"Kim Jungwoo, age 17, citizen of the Kingdom of Korea, please help me," the man said in Cantonese before falling unconscious.

***

"Sir," Yuta said, knocking on the doorway to signify that he was in the room. He was hiding a wrapped parcel behind his hands, not that Prince Jisung was looking at him. "The owner of the Inn is asking if you want to have breakfast in their dining room."

Jisung glanced at Yuta before continuing to wrap bandages around his knuckles. "If it's not Taeil's pastries then I don't want it."

Yuta rolled his eyes. "Yeah I figured," he said, showing Jisung the parcel in his hands. "But I still can't give you chocolate donuts for breakfast."

Jisung instantly perked up at the mention of donuts. "The ones with rainbow sprinkles?"

"Sir, you need breakfast first," Yuta said, dodging the question. Of course they were the ones with sprinkles, how long has Yuta known Jisung again? "Taeil specifically told me to give them to you if you're eating correctly."

Pouting, Jisung crossed his arms. "That's not fair."

"Oh, it's fair," Yuta said, turning around to leave. "Let us know when you're ready to leave, your highness."

Jisung sighed, grabbing his sword to latch on his belt and his dagger to hide before walking behind Yuta, following him to wherever the dining room was to have his breakfast.

Yes, he knew that it was important to have balanced meals, having had it drilled it into his head as soon as he was taking private lessons (age three if you were asking). However, he has been way too concerned these past few days to even think about eating.