Journey Home

I never thought that I would find myself on the back of a massive, fantasy styled, wolf pig, surrounded by goblins and furry- and not furry- fox people. But I never thought a lot of things over the last half year or so. That being said, I guess my current mount wasn't all that surprising at all.

The rohgek were a strange mountain monster that the goblin's used as mounts. Their bodies were vaguely wolf shaped but they were far denser with bristly hair rather than fur and large tusks growing out of their muzzles. They were best suited for mountain travel but their stamina was excellent, even here on these forest paths.

I was currently seated on the back of a rohgek ridden by the goblin prince, Lagdon. And he was far from the only person in this procession either. I was surrounded by no less than six goblin guards, and Just as many foxie and Foxmen- they were not mounted, but even on foot they could keep up with a Rohgek galop. This very showy group was on their way to my new home.

I was excited for the move, but I was opposed to it at first when it was proposed less than a month after Margund- the current goblin king- defeated his father for the crown. My monster devotees had their hearts set on building me some kind of temple, but I assured them that I was perfectly happy with a small place in the fox village. Both Margund and Brax- the elder and leader of the foxes- put a damper on that right away.

"My Lady, that would be most inappropriate." Margund had said, shaking his grey skinned head, large eyes closed, in exasperation no doubt.

"The goblin king is correct, Lady Enna." Elder Brax had agreed quickly. He looked more amused than anything, his bright eyes twinkling over his grey dusted fox muzzle where he held his usual pipe between pointed teeth. "As much as we all would love to have you with us always- and would never think of driving you out if you truly insisted staying here- for your own ideals, it would be a bad idea."

"Why?" I had asked. I just wanted to spare them all the effort. After all, a lot of construction had begun over the last week. Now that the goblins and foxes had come together in an alliance, the goblins had been aiding the foxes with rebuilding their homes after the battle that had taken place. Not only had a goodly portion of the village been destroyed at the time, but also- after their evolution- the foxes had out grown their former homes by a foot or so. In exchange for their labor and construction expertise, the foxes had been helping the goblins with hunting and forest-gathering knowledge.

Margund sighed. "As much as I am sure it is not your intention, if you were to stay in the fox village then the goblin people may see it as favoritism on your part." The goblin king eyed me, his intelligence evident behind his often mischievous smile. "I can't say anyone would tell you you could not play favorites- Aeros certainly made no bones about doing it, and in our favor as well. But-"

"But I defiantly do not want to be like that lazy old dragon." I had grumbled. Just thinking about the old land god often made me irritated. I couldn't say the famously powerful dragon was particularly evil, but he was the most self centered and arrogant creature I had ever met- weather in this life or my last. And that was including the former goblin king.

"Exactly."

So a new home was built. And It had been constructed in a pretty great location. Some time ago, before I had even met the goblins, I had gone on a rather disastrous fishing trip, but we saw a stunning, short waterfall with these beautiful purple blossom, trees. It was suggested that a temple be built there for her, and now they had put that into practice.

"How is it that this trip feels longer despite the road being built..." Whined Ozzie. He was a young foxie with the usual ginger fur, just like his grandfather, Elder Brax.