A Call for Help

Sorting scrolls and books was rather dull work, but I took to it gladly all the same. It was nice to take a break from training/ doing absolutly nothing. My 'worshipers' seemed to take it as a personal offence if I tried to help with just about anything around the estate, and so I was frequently left with next to nothing to do. So I was quite pleased when a foxmen approached me, looking very uncomfortable, and made a request. Apparently, the estate was heavy in people trained in combat or house keeping- and even more specialized arts like alchemy- but not many were all that versed in reading or writing.

So this young foxmen had been forced to approach me for aid in the matter. It may be tedious work, but at least it was work. I picked up on the goblin glyphs well enough- my efficient learning no doubt a result of being a god in some fashion- and started organizing, categorizing, and shelving documents and books in the recently completed library. When I arrived at the estate it had still been incomplete, but recently the last of the shelving and basic seating had been added.

It was fairly basic in design, but larger than we currently needed as we only had a few hundred books, and maybe as many scrolls, must of which were dealing with either goblin construction, or weapon play. Apparently monsters were not huge creators of entertainment novels by any means. As a former quadriplegic, much of my former entertainment had been either television, or audio books. I did miss it, but I wouldn't trade my arms and legs for J.R.R Tolkien, no matter how epic an adventure it could be.

Besides- current doldrum aside- I was literally living an adventure. I had no room to complain.

But, it was as I was mid reading titles and adding them to a series of lists before handing the book to an attendant who would then sort them to their appropriate shelf, that excitement once again entered my world. And that usually was not a good thing when one lives with monsters- even if they were steadily becoming a little more cultured.

The two attendants present, and myself, turned toward the door as a commotion could be heard out in the hall. I told the two foxmen that I was going to check it out and they bowed as I hurried out of the mostly empty room. In the large hall I saw a small group of servants gathered near the entrance to the temple. I made my way to them and waited for them to do their customary bowing before starting my questioning.

"What's going on?" I asked a foxie woman. 

She hesitated, worry in her large doe like eyes, before answering. I knew then that they thought that what ever was happening, it may be dangerous. My people may not be nearly as bad as they once had been about keeping me out of harms way, but they still had their habits. "I think we have a visitor Lady Enna." She said in a very feminine voice, the other three females, all foxie, nodding as well. "A group of them I think."

"From the fox village?" I asked, worried that something bad might have happend. It wasn't odd for small groups of foxes or goblins to come, visit and leave offerings, and leave again after a day or two. But it was odd for a commotion to be made over it. Unless it was Margund himself who decided to make an appearance, but I rather doubted that. The goblin king was still very busy setting to rights his father's mishaps, and did not have the time to just disappear from the capital, Gurten, for a month long trip without good reason.

"No, My Lady!" Piped int he youngest of the woman, her russet fists clenched in her apron. She sounded more excited than worried. "Its a group of kobolds. We haven't see their kind since well before I was born!"

"Kobolds?" I needed to see this for myself. Besides, if they came here, it was likely to see me. This was the land god's temple, after all.

I said a swift farewell to the servants, and hurried though to the church. It was even more breathtaking now that Drazdon and his sons had installed more of their stained glass. They were even beginning to get the scaffolding up to install the next of Drazdon's "masterpieces" depicting our trip to the estate. But it was a lot noisier than it usually was- construction aside. the sound of several men speaking over one another along with a set of voices that sounded stranger than any I had heard before. They were sort of higher pitched and reedy, but also had some growly tones around some of the consonants.