A Land God's Responsibility

For a moment, Reihekiu seemed to hover above the flaming, screaming Specter, suspended on nothing but air and determination. Her face showed no rage, fear, or blood lust. In fact, she looked far calmer than I could have felt, even if I tried. Her eyes moved from us, trusting that Kishi and I had obeyed her orders, and returned to the smoldering shadow beast below.

The Specter seemed to begin to regain his senses just as the half elf began her decent, and it turned its oddly shaped body her way and roared in anger. There was no serenity about this wanna be Land God, not at all. It pulled back one still smoldering arm, balling a substance-less fist, and taking aim at Reihekiu.

In the span of time it took to blink, the thought that it made no sense for the Specter to punch Reihekiu crossed my mind. If we couldn't hit him, than how could he hit us? Then my brain caught up, and I remembered that I was in a world of magic where sense was what you made of it, and that it would be just our luck that he could hit while being unable to be hit in return. 

I took a breath to yell out a useless warning. But before I could even think what it was I wanted to shout, my eyes widened in shock. Because it was right then that I realized that this was no normal sword. Along the blade danced zig zagging blue light, the crackling even sounding over the snarls of the Specter.

As Reihekiu brought the blade down in one swift, twisting, arc, I saw that this particular blade had been enchanted with the power of lightning. Maybe the Specter noticed this too, because he went from a punching motion to a more guarded stance, his fist opening to shield itself from the coming blade.

The second the sizzling sword made contact with the still smoking black mist there was a massive booming noise. I squeezed my eyes shut against the blinding white light, the fork of lightning burnt into me retina probably for the foreseeable future. the sound so loud that the ground shook.

As the Specter screamed, time seemed to catch up, and I was slammed into something hard. Having hit it enough times recently, I knew I had collided with Lagdon, and blindly used his arm to right myself. I heard Kishi slide along the dirt, followed by a growl and the sound of snapping wood. I assumed that she had wasted no time setting herself upon the still advancing minions. Just because time seemed to have stopped for a moment did not mean that we were not still surrounded by enemies.

"Are you alright?" Growled Lagdon. I looked up and saw that he was still staring at where Reihekiu and the Specter were still cloaked in a fading light.

"Fine." I said, attempting to get my tangled hair out of my face and regaining my feet. "I didn't realize her sword was magic." Though I did know it seemed to have appeared like it.

"Indeed..." 

I took a second to be sure my hobgoblin wasn't badly hurt. And he did not seem to be... But i did notice that he no longer held his club. A worried glance around showed that it lay in shattered pieces around us. Clearly the super hard flesh of the giants finally broke it.

"How'd you tear its arm off...?" I asked, in a bit of a daze, seeing the still form of the armless minion near by.

"Difficultly." He said, very unhelpfully, making me sighed and roll my eyes.

I was going to retort, but as always, my lack of wit was interrupted. Reihekiu shouted out and my attentions went back to her and the enemy, where it should have been to begin with. Lagdon shuffled me to the side just as the woman came flying our way. Like he did this as a side job, Lagdon caught Reihekiu out of the air, not even stumbling when she collided with his body. Freaking goblin strength...

"That was unpleasant..." Groaned the elf, rubbing her ribs as Lagdon set her to her feet. "What the heck are you made of? Diamond?" She asked, eyeing the hobgoblin's grey biceps in annoyance.