The Wrath of a God

Reihekiu Had lived a long time. Even for an elf, her years were many, and certainly the span of several human generations. And for the last hundred years- or maybe more- she had lived in this rather dark and fantastical forest. It had once been called something different, back when it had a land god of it's own, but the monsters who occupy these lands now simply call it the Dark. No one ever accused monsters to be highly imaginative when it came to much of anything, much less naming things.

Still, her retirement here had been an interesting one, in its own right. It had made her perversely happy to sneak in under the old dragon's nose, despite his ban on humans and Demi-humans. Though sneaking was putting it rather strong. The old lizard had stopped paying any mind to his lands decades before, after all, and the monster's themselves mostly avoided the Dark, unless it was already their home.

She missed many things about her old life. She missed her work- taken from her too soon my the illness that took away the majority of her magic- and she slightly missed her old friends and what was left of her family. But living amongst the elves without magic was too difficult, and the dwarves, even harder. To be near so much creativity whilst her own gifts were hampered was far to demoralizing...

But here, in the Dark, she had made at least a small, moderate life for herself.

Never in a million years had she of thought that the old god, Aeros, would up and leave. The Lizard loved power too much to just give it up... But, then again, he had been even older than Reihekiu, and if she was finding the day to day dull, no doubt he had as well. But when she had first laid eyes on what was supposed to be the new land god, she had been amused, but unimpressed.

How could such a small, dimly lit creature possibly hope to hold on to the vast lands once held by the dragon? It suddenly became clear how the Specter had been aloud to grow so strongly, here where the shadows grow thick. 

She had been surprised that her friend, the cool and collected fox Guardian- Kishi- had pledged herself to such a meek being. True, the fox had a soft spot for those weak and in need, but to pledge herself? It had been unexpected.

And then, when the moronic hobgoblin had professed that the entire nation of goblins- one that this itty bitty human had supposedly evolved!- would drop all aspirations in order to defend and avenge their new god... well, Reihekiu did not know what to make of that. The goblin had not seemed to be lying. Goblins had never been overly intelligent and creative enough to be good liars.

But all of that had been before this very moment. Now, as the half-elf-half-dwarf woman lay on a dark and desolate patch of dirt, drained and wounded, with Kishi standing over her, protecting her old and tired life, she believed all the odd things they had said. 

The Specter had all ready felled Reihekiu, her body broken and her indominable spirit nearly so... This was never how she though her life would end. Not like this. But surely it was the end? At leas that was the thought as her unfocused eyes watched the hobgoblin- brave but a fool- smash through minions, big and small, with his bare hands. She knew why he fought with such fever. His mistress, the sweet and pretty little human girl with the silver hair, was held off the ground, he feet dangling limply, in the shadowed hands of their enemy.

The Specter, despite being unable to be hit by their group, had made himself solid enough to strangle the life out of the girl. At least, that was what it seemed like at first. Reihekiu was not sure if it was seconds or minutes later, when every thing changed.

"Mistress!" Howled Kishi, about to loose yet another charge, yet unable to abandon the halfling she had been ordered to protect.

And it was, as that howl faded into the nether, that light began to flood this dark land. It was a flash at first, so bright Reihekiu thought that she had finally died. But that faded to a more manageable glow, faintly lavender in color and she heard the Specter shout.