Trouble in Pern

West of the Monster Nation of Aeros, the Kingdom of Pern 

Pern was not a large kingdom by any means but it was well known as a trading hub for anyone looking to get goods from the dwarven kingdom of Rohgen. The dwarves were a pretty untrusting people, especially when it came to dealing with humans, so Pern's connection to them was highly valued. But, trade dealings aside, Pern was not a powerhouse, and their military might relied heavily on the local branch of the adventurers guild.

That being said, their current dilemma was all the more dire because of this.

"Are you sure about this William?" Asked a tall man sitting at the head of a polished table. He was the King of Pern, and a well loved one at that. King Damien Rightwell the second ascended to the throne when his father, Damien the first, died to an illness at quite a young age. But, despite the loss, Damien the second brought his kingdom to new, and greater heights. The people of Pern live quite comfortably for the last two hundred years. But now all that may be coming to an end.

The man, William nodded his head, his face solemn and brow furrowed. He was only in his late twenties but he looked about ten years older, the stress of his job evident on his skin. William was the guild master in charge of all adventurers guilds in Pern, and that was not an easy, nor stress free job to have.

"Yes, your majesty, very sure. I received the information from highly trusted sources." Stated the guild master, causing the other advisors in the room to begin whispering amongst them selves.

The group was seated around a large table with the king at its head. But it was the man to the king's left who next spoke. "This is not good news. Not good at all. I can think of a few reasons for the monsters to be mobilizing and none of them are good." Stated Bishop Rodrick. He was also fairly young for a man of his station in the church, and, in William Frost's opinion, possibly corrupt. But the king would not hear of it as he and his family were devote practitioners of the Moon Glow Faith. The bishop's word was almost law in the royal family's eyes.

"It may very well effect our dealings with the dwarves at this rate." Piped in another man, this one older and clearly very well off. James Steadfell was a distant cousin of the king and also the man in charge of the merchants guild as well as the kingdom's finances. If there was a well connected man in Pern it was this tall, willowy male that looked as if a stiff wind might blow him over.

What may be causing all this unease in this normally peaceful nation? William had just confirmed the rumors that there has been some major movement in the Monster Nation of Aeros to the east. Pern shared a very precarious boarder with this nation and, in the past, were susceptible to a great many attacks from monsters along that border. The old dragon there was no joke and that was not even accounting for the masses of monsters hidden within the nation as well.

"Was it only goblins?" Asked the king. He still sat proud but William Frost knew that this news was not welcome. 

"Goblins are all that have been seen exiting the nation, yes." Confirmed Frost.

"But?"

Frost sighed. Yes...but. "Even though it is highly advised against, I am sure you know that some adventurers have been making small forays into the nation?" The king nodded and so the guild master continued. "Well, from those adventurers, there has been word that the monsters have been more active. I have also been told that the forest itself is changing."

"Changing? More than just the goblins departure you mean?" Asked the bishop, leaning forward.

Frost nodded again. "Yes. The goblins are, perhaps, our most immediate problem, but I have been told that the forest seems different. The plants are more vibrant, the amount of fruit in the tress is expanding, and the rivers seem to run clearer..."

"Do you think the Dragon has awoken?" The king asked. It was the one question that everyone in this room hoped that the answer would be 'no'.

Aeros, the monsters god and master, was a beast beyond reckoning. In ages past, before he was said to have settled down as the land god at the center of this world of theirs, it was said that he was seen as nothing short of a natural disaster. Everywhere the dragon went, terror and destruction was sure to follow. Then he took up residence in the forest. Understandably, this was a vast improvement for most kingdoms. But he did settle in a land that shared a border with Pern.

For thousands of years the people of Pern avoided even going near that dreaded place. But, about two hundred years ago, it was noted that the monsters seemed to be settling. Encounters with them out side of their kingdom lessened somewhat and Pern knew the peace it now had.

But if the monsters were on the move and the forest was waking up...

"We do not know the exact reason." Frost stated. "It could be what we all fear, and the damned lizard has decided to interfere with this plane once again. But it could also mean the exact opposite."

"You think he is dead?" Asked Steadfell, pointed eyebrows furrowed but it was clear from his tone that he was hopeful. the death of the ancient dragon would be a best case scenario for the merchant, as it may very well open many avenues for him and his dealings.

"That I can not know for sure. But, if I had to pick between the two right now, I would be more convinced of Aeros' passing. I can not see a mass migration of goblins happening if he were still alive. My best guess would be that a land god has arisen in the forest and they may not look too kindly on the goblins. Perhaps driving them out."

"Well that is great news!" Exclaimed a woman by the name of Jillian Roth. Everyone, including frost, had a great deal of respect for this particular elderly woman. She was probably the oldest person in the room right now but did not look it. Not in her baring at least. Jillian sat straight backed and confident with her long steely grey hair, equally hard eyes, and impressive scar bisecting her face from upper lip to the tip of her pointed chin. She had once been a very famous adventurer, who had then gone on to be an equally famous knight. Now she sat as one of the kings greatest advisors in any number of topics. "I can not say that I am displeased to be rid of the beast."

But Frost shook his head, causing the woman to frown. "I think, if you look past the obvious initial pleasure in the news, you will see why this theory may very well be as bad as the dragon flying out of his mountain all on his own."

"The migrating monsters..." Sighed the king, seeing what it was that Frost feared.

The guild master nodded. "Yes. If this new god is against monsters- as most gods are- and is actively trying to out them from the forest." 

Frost saw the realization dawn on the old warrior and she cursed. "We will be swarmed with monsters before the spring melts!"

Yes, that was the worst case scenario. The truth was that the Monster Nation was mostly bisected by a large mountain range. it cut the east and the west sides of the nation from one another, Add to that the fact that the western side of that range- the side that bordered Pern- also had a menacing forest to the south, meant that if the monsters had to flee those lands, they would be funneled straight to Pern. It could very well mean the death of the kingdom.

"And we have no way of knowing just how many, nor how strong, the monsters are in there either." Spat Jillian. "What is your opinion of this?" She asked Frost, worry evident on not just her face, but all of their faces.

"The truth of the matter is that we have no way of knowing. On one hand, the goblins that left the forest and encountered adventurers did not seam overly strong. But there were quite a few of them, and many made it to the dwarven kingdom before they could all be exterminated. But on the other hand, the monsters of the forest have been left to their own devises for nearly two thousand years. Who knows what kind of growth they may have had in that time."

"Well, we can not sit back and do nothing." Said the king, massaging his temples. "William, i will need you to put together an emergency party. The best adventurers you can find. We need a proper accounting of the situation: the state of the forest, the level of the monsters, and- if possible- confirmation of the Aeros situation." 

Frost got to his feet and bowed to his king. "right away your majesty. We will get to the bottom of all this."

"May the gods be with them on this mission." Said the king by way of a dismissal.