Chapter 21: Doubts in Moonlight

The moon hung low in the night sky as Giyuu Tomioka, the Water Hashira, and his adopted son, a young boy with jet-black hair and piercing blue eyes named Haruki, walked through the dense forest towards Shinobu Kocho's mansion. They had just returned from a mission, and Haruki had sustained a deep gash on his arm during the battle with demons. Giyuu's worry for his son gnawed at him like a persistent demon, leaving a deep sense of doubt in his heart.

"Haruki, hold on just a little longer," Giyuu murmured as he cradled the injured boy in his arms. Haruki nodded weakly, clutching his wounded arm. The journey had been grueling, but they were almost at their destination.

Shinobu Kocho's mansion appeared in the clearing ahead, bathed in the soft glow of lanterns that lined its walkway. The Hashira and his son entered, and Giyuu was immediately met by Shinobu, the Insect Hashira, her emerald eyes filled with concern.

"Giyuu, what happened?" Shinobu asked, her voice laced with worry.

"We encountered a powerful demon," Giyuu replied tersely. "Haruki got injured."

Shinobu nodded, her expression shifting from concern to determination. "Let's tend to his wounds. I'll prepare the necessary herbs and ointments."

As Shinobu set to work on Haruki's injury, Giyuu found himself lost in thought. He watched Shinobu's skilled hands move with precision, and he couldn't help but feel a pang of inadequacy as a father. He had adopted Haruki after the boy's family had been slaughtered by demons, but he often questioned whether he was doing right by the child.

"Shinobu," Giyuu began hesitantly, "Do you ever doubt your abilities? Wonder if you're making the right choices?"

Shinobu paused for a moment, her eyes meeting Giyuu's. "Of course, Giyuu. We all have doubts at times. But we must do our best and trust that our choices are guided by the right intentions."

Giyuu nodded, his gaze returning to Haruki. He knew he couldn't protect his son from every danger, but he had to believe that he was doing his best as a father. As Shinobu continued to tend to Haruki's wounds, Giyuu's doubts began to ease, replaced by a newfound resolve to protect and care for the boy who had become his family.

The moon continued to cast its gentle light upon the mansion, a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there was always a glimmer of hope and the strength to carry on.