Chapter 26: Moonlit Harvest

The moon hung high in the night sky, casting a silvery glow over the tranquil landscape. Giyu Tomioka had returned late from a particularly grueling demon-slaying mission, and as he trudged through the dense forest towards the Demon Slayer Corps headquarters, he was exhausted both physically and mentally. The weight of his responsibilities as a Hashira had always been heavy, but tonight, it felt especially burdensome.

As Giyu approached the clearing where the headquarters were located, he noticed something unusual. The sound of laughter and music reached his ears, and he paused, his weary eyes narrowing in confusion. He had not expected any festivities or gatherings at this hour.

Curiosity got the better of him, and he silently made his way toward the source of the commotion. As he entered the clearing, he was greeted by an unexpected sight. A group of farmers had set up a makeshift celebration beneath the full moon, surrounded by colorful lanterns and fireflies. They were dancing, singing, and celebrating their bountiful harvest.

Giyu watched them from the shadows, his tired eyes taking in the joyous scene. The farmers seemed to have forgotten their worries and were lost in the simple pleasures of life. It was a stark contrast to the world he usually inhabited, where demons and death were a constant presence.

As he continued to watch, lost in his thoughts, a voice suddenly broke through his reverie. "Admiring the view, Tomioka-san?"

Startled, Giyu turned around to find Shinobu Kocho standing there, a sly smile on her face. Her petite frame and striking appearance made her presence easily noticeable, even in the dim moonlight.

Giyu blinked at her in surprise. "Shinobu, what are you doing here?"

She chuckled softly. "I was passing by and couldn't resist the allure of a harvest festival under the full moon. Isn't it lovely?"

Giyu continued to gaze at the celebration, his expression distant. "Yes, it is."

Shinobu studied him for a moment, her smile fading. "You look exhausted, Tomioka-san. Did the mission go that badly?"

Giyu didn't respond immediately, his gaze fixed on the dancing farmers. Finally, he spoke, his voice quiet. "No, it went as well as could be expected. It's just..."

Shinobu waited patiently for him to continue.

"It's just that Haruki would have loved this view," Giyu admitted, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness. "He loved the moon and the fireflies. He would have been so happy here."

Shinobu's expression softened, and she stepped closer to him. "I'm sorry, Tomioka-san. I know how much he meant to you."

Giyu nodded, his eyes never leaving the festivities. "Thank you, Shinobu."

For a while, they stood in companionable silence, watching the farmers celebrate beneath the full moon. The night air was filled with the scent of blooming flowers and the sounds of laughter, a stark contrast to the battles they fought as demon slayers.

"Isn't the moon lovely tonight?" Giyuu asks. He turns to Shinobu only to find her red as a tomato "are you okay?" He asked "y-yes Giyuu It's just extremely hot" she acted. 'Isn't it winter?' Giyuu thought with a puzzled look "but it's winter, here let me see" he applies his temple on hers "you don't have a fever.." Shinobu was not able to think straight she just played with a firefly to ignore what happened.

As the night wore on, Giyu finally tore his gaze away from the celebration and turned to Shinobu. "I should go. I have to report to Oyakata-sama."

Shinobu nodded. "Of course. Take care, Tomioka-san."

Giyu walked away, leaving the harvest festival behind, but the memory of that moonlit night and the simple joy of the farmers would stay with him. It was a reminder that amidst the darkness and the demons, there was still beauty and happiness in the world. And somewhere, in the quiet corners of his heart, Haruki's memory would always be cherished, like the glow of the full moon on a peaceful night.