Chapter 37: The Gathering of Hashira

The grand hall stood shrouded in an air of anticipation as the Hashira gathered to discuss pressing matters regarding the ever-persistent demon threat. Each Hashira was allotted a designated area, representing the pinnacle of demon slaying expertise in their respective fields. They had come to this meeting, as they always did when duty called, in their iconic uniforms, bearing the intricate markings of their rank.

Mitsuri Kanroji, the Love Hashira, chatted animatedly with Kyojuro Rengoku, the Flame Hashira, near the entrance. The boisterous laughter and warmth they exuded were in stark contrast to the somber atmosphere of the room. Obanai Iguro, the Serpent Hashira, reclined against a pillar, his enigmatic eyes scanning the room as he spoke softly with the Wind Hashira, Sanemi Shinazugawa.

But amongst this assembly, two figures remained conspicuously distant. Giyu Tomioka, the Water Hashira, and Shinobu Kocho, the Insect Hashira, stood together but apart, their expressions heavy with guilt and sadness. They had both been brooding ever since their recent mission's failure, which resulted in the tragic loss of an eight-year-old girl named Sakura to the clutches of a demon. They felt responsible and it weighed heavily on their hearts.

As the Hashira continued their discussions, the atmosphere in the room grew increasingly tense. It was as if the somber mood had spread to infect them all, like a malignant presence. Finally, the sliding doors at the far end of the hall opened, and Oyakata-sama, the enigmatic leader of the Demon Slayer Corps, entered.

Oyakata-sama's presence commanded immediate attention. His wisdom was revered, and his words carried great weight. He looked upon the gathered Hashira with a gentle but stern gaze, and his voice echoed through the hall as he addressed their collective grief.

"It is natural to feel sorrow for the loss we have suffered," he began, his voice resonating with a sense of understanding. "But let us remember that dwelling on the past will not bring Sakura back. Instead, we must learn from our mistakes and use that knowledge to prevent such tragedies in the future."

Mitsuri, Rengoku, Obanai, and Sanemi nodded in agreement, their expressions softening with newfound resolve. They had long admired Oyakata-sama for his wisdom and guidance.

However, as the meeting concluded and the Hashira gathered to leave, the atmosphere between Giyu and Shinobu remained as frosty as ever. Their steps echoed loudly in the corridor, drawing the attention of their fellow Hashira.

Shinobu, her voice trembling with frustration, turned to Giyu, "This is all my fault, Tomioka-san! I could have saved Sakura if I hadn't hesitated!"

Giyu's eyes flashed with anger. For the first time, he raised his voice, "Don't you dare put this on yourself, Kocho! It was my reckless plan that got us into that situation! IF ONLY I COULD REACH A LITTLE EARLIER" He yelled

"Tomioka-san I am a human too! I also tend to make mistakes stop thinking it's your fault when it's mine!" Shinobu answered.

Their voices grew louder, and tension escalated rapidly. The other Hashira watched in shock as their usually composed comrades exchanged heated words. Mitsuri, Rengoku, Obanai, and Sanemi couldn't bear to see their friends like this.

Sanemi, never one for subtlety, slapped Giyu. "Enough of this! You're both acting like children!" he growled.

Mitsuri followed suit, slapping Shinobu with tears in her eyes. "Haruki deserves better than this!"

Shinobu's eyes glistened with tears, and she touched her stinging cheek. Giyu too felt the sting on his face, his anger subsiding into a mix of shame and regret.

Mitsuri stepped forward, her voice quivering but determined. "Haruki needs you both to be strong and united. It's time to move on and find a way to tell him about Sakura."

The room fell silent, the weight of Mitsuri's words hanging heavily in the air. Giyu and Shinobu exchanged a solemn look, their previous anger dissipating as they realized the truth in Mitsuri's words.

As the Hashira left the hall that day, they were united not just in their duty to eliminate demons but in their commitment to support each other through the darkest of times. And as they looked towards the future, they knew that they had to find a way to heal and move forward, not just for themselves but for the young boy named Haruki who depended on them for guidance and protection.