Chapter 34: A Chilling Encounter

Months had passed since the day Haruki had started playing with the little girl in the daylight hours. In that time, they had grown close, and the bond between them had deepened. Haruki, with his bright smile, had given the girl a name - Sakura, after the beautiful cherry blossoms that adorned the Water Hashira Estate.

Giyuu had taken it upon himself to ensure that whenever he had a free moment, he would bring Haruki to play with Sakura. It became a cherished routine, and even Shinobu often joined them. Haruki had developed a special fondness for her, perhaps because she was one of the few children he could play with.

As evening fell and the daylight waned, Giyuu took Haruki by the hand, their laughter echoing through the fading light. "It's time to go home, Haruki. Sakura, you should head back too. Nighttime is dangerous."

Haruki nodded, still reluctant to leave Sakura's side. "Alright, Giyuu."

Sakura smiled, understanding the necessity of parting ways for the night. "I'll see you both again soon."

After dropping Haruki off at their modest home, Giyuu and Shinobu began their nightly ritual, removing their swords from their sheaths. They knew the darkness held demons, and they were always vigilant.

Their assigned area that night was a quiet, seemingly abandoned village. It was a place they had patrolled countless times before without incident. But tonight was different.

As they approached the first house, a sense of foreboding hung heavy in the air. The windows were shattered, and the door hung half-open. An eerie silence replaced the usual sounds of the night.

Giyuu and Shinobu exchanged a glance, their eyes reflecting a shared sense of dread. Without a word, they entered the house, blades at the ready.

Inside, they were met with a scene of horror. Bloodstains marred the tatami mats, and the walls were etched with claw marks. Broken furniture was strewn about, and in the corner of the room lay the lifeless body of a demon slayer, his uniform torn and stained with blood.

The two Hashira's hearts sank, realizing that they were not alone in this nightmare. Demons had infiltrated the village, and they were met with a gruesome reminder of the danger they faced every night.

Giyuu and Shinobu's eyes met again, this time filled with determination. They knew their duty - to protect the innocent and eliminate the demons responsible for this gruesome scene. With swift and practiced movements, they advanced deeper into the darkness, ready to face the horrors that awaited them in the night.

The chapter ends with their footsteps echoing through the haunted village, their swords raised, and their hearts steeled for the battle ahead, as the night concealed the true terrors lurking in the shadows.