Chapter 38: Heartbreak and Healing

Giyuu and Shinobu stood amidst the eerie stillness of the forest, the aftermath of their battle against the demon slowly sinking in. The moonlight filtered through the dense canopy, casting elongated shadows on the ground. Sakura's father was safe, and that should have been a reason to celebrate, but the loss of Sakura herself weighed heavily on their hearts.

Shinobu tried to hold back tears, her voice trembling as she spoke, "Giyuu, we did what we could, and we saved her father. Sakura would be proud of us."

Giyuu nodded, his expression a mixture of sadness and resignation. "You're right, Shinobu. We couldn't save Sakura, but we avenged her, and we fulfilled our duty as Demon Slayers."

Together, they made their way back to the Water Estate, their steps heavy with the weight of their failure. As they approached the estate, they noticed Haruki sitting on the porch, his tiny frame hunched over, his little hands gripping a plush toy tightly. He had been waiting for them, the anxiety and worry evident in his eyes.

Shinobu knelt down in front of him, a sad smile on her face. "Haruki, we're back. Your father is safe."

But before she could say anything more, Haruki's world came crashing down. His eyes welled up with tears, and a torrent of emotions overwhelmed him. With all the strength a young child could muster, he began to sob uncontrollably. His small hands, clenched into fists, started to punch Shinobu and Giyuu's legs as he cried over his sister's death.

"Papa... Papa, you couldn't save her!" Haruki's voice quivered with heartache, and his little fists continued to hit them. "You promised... you promised to protect her!"

Shinobu and Giyuu exchanged a pained look. Shinobu tried to soothe the grieving child, but he was inconsolable. She held him tightly, letting him cry,