Chapter 44: The Worrying Silence

Shinobu raced through the moonlit forest, her footsteps as light as a whisper as she jumped from tree to tree. Her heart was heavy with concern for Giyuu, the Water Hashira, who had failed to attend the important Hashira meeting. Such an absence was unusual for him, and it gnawed at her thoughts. *'What must be wrong? Is Haruki okay?'* she wondered as she pushed herself to reach Giyuu's estate.

Finally, she arrived at the tranquil residence, nestled amidst the ancient wisteria trees. There, on the front porch, she saw a heart-wrenching sight. Haruki, Giyuu's adopted son, was sitting with tears streaming down his young face. Without hesitation, Shinobu hurried over and knelt beside him, her voice filled with worry. "Haruki, what's wrong? Where is Tomioka-san?"

Haruki sniffled, his small voice trembling. "Papa never came back today," he sobbed, throwing himself into Shinobu's embrace.

Shinobu held him close, trying to soothe his fears. "It's going to be okay, Haruki. We'll find out what happened. Tell me, did Giyuu-san mention anything before he left on his mission?"

Haruki shook his head, his eyes red from crying. "No, like every day, he just said he'd be back soon." His voice quivered with despair.

Shinobu continued to hold him gently, her fingers brushing through his hair as she softly sang a lullaby, the words dripping with affection for Giyuu and the wisteria that surrounded them:

*In the realm of wisteria, you and I so intertwined,*
*Underneath the silver moon, our hearts forever aligned.*
*Though shadows may try to steal the light,*
*Our love will always burn so bright.*

As the last notes of the lullaby hung in the air, Haruki's sobs began to subside, his eyes heavy with exhaustion. Shinobu carefully lifted him into her arms and carried him to the futon he shared with Giyuu. She gently laid him down, tucking the blankets around him.

Looking down at the sleeping child, Shinobu's worry deepened. *"Did he encounter an Upper Moon?"* she mused aloud, her voice filled with concern, as she contemplated the ominous possibilities that lay ahead.