CHAPTER FOUR

CLINTON’S POV

*”Touch, round, pass, that’s it. Touch, go round the cone and pass, that’s it. Nice job, Clinton”*

“We’re here already”  My mom’s voiced snapped me out of my reverie as she pulled to a stop in front of the school gate. With the inter school football competition looming over us, the past week has been hectic but fun with the coach taking us through rigorous training sessions which I would’ve liked to skip but being the team captain and all, I have to lead by example and low-key, it kind of sucks but I’m loving the attention I’m getting. The ladies love King Alexander.

“Thanks mom, Be safe at work” I had to leave her with that while rushing to exit the car before she could stretch her hands back to ruffle my hair, not about to let her ruin the amount of effort I put into keeping my hair neat.
“Have fun at school kiddo” I gave her a face with my tongue out and she rode off while laughing. I love my Mom, she always makes sure I start my day with a smile as wide as the one I’m carrying now.

Now to head to class, I pulled out my phone and sent a text to Cora informing her that I was in school already.
I don’t think I need to watch over her as much as I used to, she has a brother now which she’s secretly excited about but won’t show it, hehe. I don’t like my spot being taken but it is what it is.

I walked into a buzzing hallway and I’m not even surprised because it’s always like this before the first class, everybody has catching up to do and plans to make for the rest of the day. I saw Ali, Ethan and the guys hanging around our lockers and Jonah was the center of attention; he has their undivided attention. Time to creep in to listen to their conversation and maybe spook them while I’m at it.
I was creeping closer when Jonah saw me and he just had to holler “Here comes our one and only Team Captain” which signified the end of my dubious plans.

I cleared my throat then walked majestically towards them while they loudly hummed this badass anime intro song, I’m trying my best not to laugh but I couldn’t stop it when I saw Mustafa’s face while he was at it and that was the fuse that caused the whole group to burst into laughter.
“I was planning on making you guys shiver in your boots but a certain someone just had to throw a wrench into it” I said while increasing the grip strength of my handshake with Jonah, which saw him playfully acting like he was in pain and slowly falling to his knees.
“Sorry, Captain, I mean Alexander the great” the gang burst into another round of laughter.

I turned to Ali and gave him a strong handshake, I also did the same with Mustafa but I had to fist bump with Christian whose hands were busy with the books he was carrying.
“Sometimes I wonder how a total nerd like you had time to practice and be that good at football”
“Its not my fault, I’m that gifted”
“And Narcissistic too. Everything about you just does not add up, the scientist in me just wants to open you up and see how you work” I said while giving him my best mad scientist impression.
He hid behind Jonah immediately, “Someone help, he’s at it again”
“Alright, alright, I was just joking. Learn how to take a joke, nerd.” I held my hands up in mock defeat then turned to Ethan.
“You are the only one looking glum today, what’s up?”
“It’s nothing, Clinton, just mundane stuff”
“Alright I get it, let’s take a walk. Later gang”

We waved the team off while taking a walk towards class, I had to wave off a few people calling out my name, mostly ladies. Being friendly to the real life NPCs doesn’t hurt. Three turns and we were already in the garden, I led him to a bench while I took a seat and he followed suit.
“Soooooo, what’s up with you?”
“Like I said Clint, it’s nothing”
“Well, If it was nothing or something you wouldn’t talk about with me then you wouldn’t follow me here”
I looked straight into his eyes for him to know that I was confident in my claims, we held that gaze for 2 seconds and he looked away.
“Well well Ethan, you’ve always been the shy one”
“Shut up man, it’s just sighhhh”
“Is it about a girl and it’s complicated?”
“Yes but not so complicated in a way”
“Then tell me”
“Alright, Uhm, let’s just say I confessed my undying love to a girl and I was rejected, harshly at that. I’ve never been rejected like that in my whole life, well, I’ve taken a couple of rejections but not one this bad”
“Was it that horrible?” Damn, he’s really shook. He must’ve loved her very much but someone has to break it to him and I will.
“Yes, very horrible”
“Well, love is a two way street. If it’s that bad then you just have to take that “L” and move on. You’re a handsome guy and one of the most popular guys in school, A lot of girls want you but well, they may not love you but they do like you and you can work it up from there”

“But.. sigh, alright cap, I’ll try my best”
I gave him two hard back pats and ruffled his hair, “That’s what I want to hear. Just be in proper mental state when it’s time for training”
“Yesssuurr” He stood up and gave me a mock salute and moved out.

I heard the sound of the bell and I don’t even know what it signified, start of the first class or beginning of the second. I pulled out my phone to check the time and I was shocked to find out that my conversation with Ethan took that much time.

That much talking has me famished. I need to text Neriah to see if she would like to have lunch with me. Do you mind having lunch with me? at the garden close to the field. Yes that’s perfect and sent.
Now I wait.