CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

CALEB’S POV

I turned around and decided that I should let Cora be. I was walking away from the coach’s office when I bumped into somebody. I paused, she was beautiful. The girls at Green havens were something else when it came to beauty and class. I looked at her and she looked away. I was making her uncomfortable. We got to talk for a while before she headed away. I got to find out that her name was Neriah. I was going to do more digging on that but I needed to get to the basketball court before anything else. I got there and I saw her and her brother there, again! It was like she was doing it on purpose, trying to drive me crazy. She was everywhere. She aimed for the net and with one clean throw, she hit her target. She looked at her brother and she smiled. I haven't seen her so happy in a while. I guess she did have the people that she smiled with and I just wasn’t one of them. I stayed around at the basketball court for a while then I headed back to my class. The last ting I wanted was to be caught dead, staring at her, obsessing over her. She was pretty and she was what I wanted but she didn’t want me and I had to let that sink in. Besides, I couldn’t afford a relationship. It was bound to fail. Look at how things are between my parents. What game me the certainty that my relationship with anybody was going to turn out okay? I had no assurance and I wasn’t about to put Cora through that. I wasn’t going to ruin her life with my bad luck. The best thing to do was to let her be. She deserved to be happy and I was fine with that, even if that person wasn’t going to be me. I pulled out my phone, wishing I had a laptop. My dad was rich. I should probably tell him about it. I knew that he was going to give me a new one but a part of me was still uncomfortable with asking him for everything. I decided to let it be, hoping that he would notice and ask about it. If he didn’t, I was going to remain that way. I decided to go for a quick snack and I heard someone call my name. I looked back and I saw Cora standing there.

“What? Did you get bored of your shadow?” I said to her.
“You don’t always have to be rude” she said back to me.
“What do you want?” I asked her.
“Nothing. I just wanted to know how things were going on with your dad and your mom” she said to me.

That took me aback. I wasn’t expecting her to remember or even ask about it but she did and that touched me a bit.

“I wasn’t expecting you to remember at all, not to talk of ask about them. Well, they are finalizing the divorce procedures and with time, they would be separated” I said as I walked on.
“I wasn’t asking how they were. I was asking how you were. I know that the divorce can not be easy on you. How are you holding up?” she asked me. 
“I don’t know how to feel. I am just going along with it because I don’t have a choice. I mean, what choice do I have? I cant stop them. They already made the decision without me. There is nothing that I can possibly do to change their minds. Besides, I am an adult. I can take care of myself” I said to her.
“It doesn’t matter. You are their kid and it was very insensitive of them to make that decision without letting you know before hand. They shouldn’t have done that and just so you know, it is okay if you are not fine with it. You don’t have to pretend to be okay with their plans” she said to me.
“What else am I supposed to do?” I asked her, fighting back the tears in my eyes.
“I don’t know. I have never been in a situation like this but I haven't had my parents around me either so I can only tell you this. It only gets easier and you would do better if you had people around you to help you” she said to me.
“I guess so. Thanks. I would put that in mind before I push everybody away” I said to her with a smile. 

She looked at me and nodded at me before grabbing my arm and rubbing it. I looked back at her and I could see that she genuinely cared about me. I didn’t know what to do at that point. I just wanted her to be mine. I moved close to her and held the gaze. She looked away immediately. She needed to trust me if anything was going to happen between us and I knew this. I just didn’t know how to make her trust me. There was no way I knew how to make her trust me and so I decided that I was going to do something that I wasn’t supposed to do. I was going to talk to three people. Her ex, Ian, her best friend, Clinton and her brother, Cole. I wasn’t so sure if she was going to be okay with me gathering information about her but what choice was I left with? I was starting to get really desperate because she was not only beautiful, she had taken my advice to talk to people and be friendly. A lot of people were going to come for her, they were going to want to be with her and if that meant anything to me, it meant competition. I was going to have competitors and they were obviously better at this than I was. I decided on my first stop, Ian.

“I have to go Cora” I said to her.