CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

CLINTON’S POV

I left the class, hand in hand with Neriah. She was trying to pull her hands out of mine while we were on our way to the Cafeteria but I was having none of that.
“Can you let me go?” She huffed, exasperated at the smile I had on my face.
“Can you stop pulling your hands? I don’t want your hands getting hurt while trying to keep my grip so can you please stop.” She huffed again but stopped, I couldn’t help laughing.
“What’s funny?” She looked at me with a scowl. “Nothing” I replied immediately while keeping my face out of her sight, I had to make sure that I didn’t laugh loudly again.

We maintained the silence until we got to the rowdy cafeteria, I pulled her along after stopping for a second or two to find good seats before moving towards a cluster of seats that had enough space and would definitely have less noise. I pulled out a chair for her but she dropped her bag on the table then sat on another one and I just laughed and sat beside her.
I looked at her, she looked at me. We kept that eye contact for some seconds then I slowly moved my face close to hers to stop 5 inches away from her. I smiled and she flinched then looked away, I smiled even wider.

I grabbed her hand, she tried pulling it back again but I held on tight. She didn’t know that I saw her pressing on her hands after I let her hand to pull out a chair for her, I massaged it for a while then let it drop.
“You know, you just can’t keep up with that. I find your act funny and cute but I know a secret weapon that would melt all that” I sat back with this confident smirk on my face.
“Hmph, What?” she turned towards me with a reply. Had the idea that making her curious would get her attention and surprisingly, it worked.
“Can you stop huffing and puffing like an angry dragon?” She turned to look elsewhere again. “Wait for me” I left the table, heading towards the counter.

I was almost there when someone bumped into me, I only need to take a step to the left to regain balance but the figure slipped and was falling. I gripped the only part I could get hold off and pulled the person towards me and into my arms because that was the only way I could help them stand without loosing my stability. The feel I had on my chest was enough for me to know the gender of the figure that bumped into me. I turned to look at her and she was staring up at me.
“Uhmm, Thank you” She said and that brought my mind back to the awkward situation we were in. I let her go and she also pulled back and out of my arms. I had to help pick up some of her stuff that fell, put it in her bag, I picked up the bag and handed it to her.
“Next time, pay attention to whatever is in front of you, Ysa” She took the bag from me, I gave her a parting smile then walked away without dwelling on whatever happened. “Excuse me, How do you know my Name?” I heard her ask but the only answer she got from me was a offhand wave. I had already wasted enough time being her knight in shining armor, I don’t have the time for Distracting conversations. I have a lunch date to get to and a surprise to deliver.

The remaining journey to the counter was normal as it should’ve been. I ordered for two small buckets of Ice cream and cupcakes to go with it, Girls love ice cream. For the type of flavor she liked, I had no idea but I made a guess and got vanilla and strawberry. I could eat whichever one I got so I would take the one she didn’t take. I did same for the cupcakes. My order was ready and I carefully took it back to our seat with my eyes darting around to make sure no one crashed into me this time. My Impression of the cafeteria changed, now I consider it as an asteroid field of living humans, anyone could crash Into you.

I got back to our seat and Neriah was still waiting with her legs crossed and her eyes glued to her phone screen and she didn’t notice me until I dropped the food on the table then took my seat beside her.
“What took you so long?” She was smiling to her phone a moment ago and now she’s back to default, scowling.
“I have a surprise for you and the only requirement is, a smile”
“No” She replied immediately and I was ready for that so I pulled down the nylon wrapper so she could see the ice cream buckets in it and immediately she saw them, she beamed and tried to reach for one but I pulled it out of her reach while wagging my index in her face.
“What?” She pulled back and asked.
“Smile” she smiled, “Wider” she obeyed, “Wider” she was already grinning at this point.
I passed her the cupcakes I got, “Keep it up and you’ll definitely get your ice cream”
She begrudgingly ate her cupcake while we talked about our lives and recent activities, From My football training to her basketball training, classes, family and all that. She got her ice cream in the middle of the conversation and her mood got better.

I received a text from the coach asking me to meet him in his office. I frowned in confusion after reading it.
“What’s wrong?” I think she noticed my change in expression and had to ask. “Coach says I should meet him in his office, so that means I’ll have to escort you back to class” I half smiled, packed the stuff on the table then took it to the side to dump in the trash and back.
“Let’s go” I grabbed my bag and she grabbed my hand and used it as leverage to pull herself up, I started walking and this time, she didn’t let go or try to pull back when I held on

We walked in silence back to her class and stopped when we got to the door and that was the cue for our hand holding to stop. She turned towards me and paused for a sec “Thank you, for lunch and the surprise”, I smiled.
“You have this ice cream stain on your face” I had to point out the smudge beside her lips, she tired wiping several times but missed.
“Let me help with that” I leaned my head close and licked it off before she could process my move, a few centimeters and I would be licking her lips. She recoiled in shock with her hand over her mouth.
I quickly retreated while laughing, “Bye, Neriah”
I walked towards the Coach’s office without looking back to see her reaction.
That was fun, I thought.