CHAPTER TWELVE

CALEB’S POV

She was doing it again. She was hiding her feelings and growing cold towards me. I sighed and walked away as she headed back to her car. I turned around and headed back to the class to pack my stuffs. I was going to leave when I saw someone I barely talked to in the class. He was sitting alone. I turned around and walked back to where he was sitting. He didn’t look up until I got to the table. He looked at me and removed his earphones.

“Hi, can I help you with something?” He said politely.
“Not really. I just saw you sitting alone and I figured that you could use a friend” I said to him.

He smiled at me and scooted over. I sat and sighed.

“I’m Caleb. I don’t think we have ever spoken before” I said to him.
“I am Remiel. We have never spoken before. You don’t look like the conversational type. You look way too introverted” he said to me with a smile.
“It is kind of obvious. You keep to yourself except you’re telling with Cossy and the other girl” I said to him.
“You know Cossy?” Remiel asked me.
“Not personally. She is really lousy and her name comes up from time to time. You look really interested in her though” I said to him.
“Trust me. I am in no way interested in her. I just want to do my own thing. Enough about me. How about you? You say that I am the introverted one but you never say anything in class. I’ve seen you hover around Cora Macaulay. I mean, it is pretty obvious that you are into her. Why wouldn’t you tell her?” he asked me.
“Because she barely knows me. I don’t know her. I met her here, at green Havens. I don’t think it would be smart of new to jump into a relationship with someone that I don’t even know” I said to him.
“Then get to know her. She is a pretty nice person, I think. I mean, I hear a lot about her and I follow her blogs and podcasts. She seems pretty nice. She might be withdrawn but it is kind of necessary. There are so much stuffs going on about her and her family and some are not so nice. If she is withdrawn, then she had every right to be” Remiel said to me.

I didn’t know what to say after that. I didn’t know he was that intellectual or understanding. I have never spoken to him before and I had to say that I wasn’t disappointed. I was expecting something different and I was glad that he didn’t prove me right. I grabbed my bag and I got up from where he was

“Did I say something to upset you?” he asked me.
“No, you didn’t. I just have to go now. My ride just arrived. It was nice talking to you” I said to him and I headed out of the class.

I got to the parking lot and I saw my dad’s driver there. I looked at the car and I sighed. I walked on and got home. I wanted to desperately call her to come out to see me but I decided that it was best if I stayed away. The next day, I got ready for school. Dad wasn’t home and I sighed. If I was with mom, I would have had someone to talk to but I wasn’t going back to mom’s house, not now, not ever. I looked at the mirror and I headed to the car. The driver called in sick and I had to drive myself to school which I didn’t mind. I decided to sign up for basketball today. I wasn’t going to postpone it. After lunch, I was going to walk up to the coach and tell him. I got to class and I saw her again. She was beautiful. She looked better than she did yesterday. I guess she got to rest more. After the first series of classes, I headed to talk to her but she headed out. I figured she was going to the cafeteria but when I got there, I didn’t see her. She came in a while later with her brother. Yeah, her brother. The only guy she had in her life now. I was so tired of feeling like he was some sort of competition but what could I possibly do to chase those feelings away? The way he looked at her, you could tell that he completely adores her. I know that they are siblings and I really don’t need anybody to remind me but you could tell that he loved her, genuinely. I decided not to sit at their table. I sat on my own. Behind me was Clinton, the second guy that stood a chance with her. Well, if you ask me, I could say that Clinton was full of mixed signals and I wondered why he was hanging out with a year ten student. I was quick to answer that question when Ivy walked up to my table.

“Can I sit here?” She asked me.
“Yeah, sure. What’s going on with you? I’ve not seen you around today” I said to her.
“I have just been really busy with classes and all of that. So I am having a party at my place this weekend and I would really love you to be there. It would mean a lot to me” she said to me as she extended an invitation card to me.
“Oh, it is on a Friday after school. I don’t know, Ivy but I would really try to make it” I said to her with a smile.
“Thank you” she said back to me.
“Sure, any day” I said back

I smiled at her and the school bell went off. She looked at me and she smiled.

“I have to go. I have something to take care of” I said to her.