3) A Hectic First Meeting

A strikingly beautiful blue sky. Big fluffy clouds filled your vision. But the sun was already in the center of it all. The yellow-green grass was slightly prickly against your skin that your clothes didn't cover.

"It's already midday," Y/n mumbles. She was lying face up, too tired to bother getting up. A pair of foxes nuzzled your face. You glance over, and it scurries away, the other just licking its paw.

It didn't go far, and you watch as it slowly came forward. Its eyes never left yours as it licks your exposed fingers.

You smiled and sat up, the fox scurrying away again. You pulled the wrapped meat you saved and held out a piece.

Ears perking up, both came bounding forward. You split the food and gave it to them. They happily munch on it as you smile. "I'm trying the whole vegetarian thing, anyway."

Y/n rose with a stretch and headed back to the inn.

It's been like this for a while now. Verr would send you out to collect herbs and fruits or deal with hilichurl camps. And today was more tiring than the rest. Hence why you'd taken a nap in the middle of the field.

"Ah, welcome back, Y/n." Verr smiled knowingly. You silently force a smile and make a beeline for the kitchen. Your stomach was taking over any rationality. Yanxiao looked up as you walked in. "How was it?"

"Tiring," you answer, looking through the ingredients. Yanxiao chuckles, "That bad?"

"You could say that since as soon as I get used to it. Verr adds more," You grumbled.

You straighten, realizing something. "Hey, Yanxiao?" He hummed as he cut some vegetables. "Do you have any Liyue-based recipes? I realized that I won't be able to make any from Mondstadt with these." And I've already eaten what I brought.

"Sure." He points to a book. "I made that one myself. Free feel to make anything you desire," he said, turning back to the cutting board when you thanked him.

You flip through the pages, looking for anything that was light with the meat. "I suggest trying the almond tofu." You glanced at him with an eyebrow raised. He smirks, "It's famous since a certain someone likes it."

You stared in confusion as he chuckled to himself. Interested, you flipped through the cookbook until you found it.

Scanning the steps, it looked easy enough, and it was meat-free. Gathering the ingredients, you set to work. And in no time, you had a dish ready. It was slightly burnt, but whatever. "That's pretty good for your first try at Liyue food."

You folded your arms as you huffed. "Thanks, I'll be taking this to the roof," Y/n announced, taking the plate.

Yanxiao watched your retreating form. "She's never eaten with the rest of us," Jiangxue remarked. He rubbed his beard in thought. "On top of that, she's quite talkative."

"Not really." They both turned to Verr as she came in with her husband. "She seems to be forcing it."

"Forcing it?" Verr nodded to Yanxiao's question as she tapped a finger against her chin. "Not sure why, though."

"Even our little Liyue guardian noticed."

Y/n breathes in the night air as she steps foot on one of the balconies. Unnoticed to you, your dinner attracted someone.

"Do you think he'll show himself to her?" Jiangxue asked. Yanxiao chuckled, catching their attention. "Oh, he will." He smirked. "She will be eating almond tofu for dinner after all." As he said this, Y/n took a seat and swirled her spoon.

She cut the tofu and was about to take a bite, but a sudden shiver went through her. You whirled around, your plate flying out of your hands.

Bits of anemo floated in the air, but nothing else. You relaxed slightly. Did I imagine it? You sighed. "Well, there goes my dinner," you mumbled. You glanced at the sky as the clouds covered the moon's light.