15) It's Me Not You

"Something about Y/n is different these days," Verr announced, her husband nodding in agreement.

You were currently out on patrol with Rickie again. The rest of the staff sat around the table. Yanxiao placed a plate of snacks on the table.

"She's been eating healthier before I'd barely convince her to have dinner," he added, taking a seat. "I hope you aren't giving her too much work, Goldet." She waved her hand dismissively.

"Of course not! Honestly, she's probably training more than doing the errands I ask." Verr took a sip of her tea before continuing. "She's always running back outside after finishing. On top of that, she comes back pretty battered."

"She is training her anemo element." They all turned to Xiao leaning against the wall.

"It's good to see you, Xiao," Verr greeted. He merely nodded, accepting the plate of almond tofu. "Why don't you help her?" Yanxiao asked as he was about to leave.

Xiao glanced over his shoulder. "That is exactly what I am doing." He disappeared in a flash of teal and black without waiting for a reply.

Verr made a face. "No wonder she's all battered."

Y/n sat on a boulder, your legs crossed and eyes closed. Your long braid whipped through the wind as it seemingly glowed in the moonlight. Sweat trickled down your face as you concentrated. Anemo continued to swirl around you, a whirlwind of calm. It stayed like that in the quiet fields of Bishui Plain.

A fox's head popped out from behind a rock. It curiously watched the anemo swirl around you. It stepped forward, its paw snapping a twig. You jumped, eyes snapping open.

The once-calm winds suddenly exploded, throwing you off the boulder. You rolled to the ground and, clean off the ledge. A startled cry left your lips as you crashed into the rocks below.

You rolled off your back, groaning as bits of rocks crunched under you. Great, more bruises to add to the collection, you thought as you stood. You pressed a hand against the wall and walked away from the rocks.

Your feet stumbled, and you cursed yourself, the ground coming closer. You squeezed your eyes shut, bracing for the pain.

"You can open your eyes now, human." The familiar nickname caused you to snap your eyes open, staring at those striking amber eyes.

"Xiao."

You've seen him a few times since that night. And it was your fault entirely. Every time you saw him, your face flushed red, and you quickly ran away. Xiao usually stared in confusion.

But you had been doing it every time he caught a glimpse of you. He was getting a bit annoyed, especially, since a sharp pain shot through his chest every time. He didn't really like that feeling.

So, when you tried to get away. Xiao grabbed both hands and pinned you to the ground. Your face burst into a red hue.

Xiao glared down at you, watching as you struggled in vain. "Why do you run?" he growled, leaning closer. You flinched and looked anywhere but at him.

"No reason." You felt his glare sharpen, causing you to sweat slightly. "Lies," he hissed, his fingers squeezing tighter around your wrists. "Hey! Xiao that—" Your voice failed you as he leaned even closer. His hands pulled your arms over your head as he held them with one hand.

Your ears flushed red from the position. Xiao's free hand trailed over the side of your face. "You're injured again," he mumbled. Xiao moved your collar, revealing a few scratches that had started bleeding. His pretty face twisted into a frown.

"Don't worry. It's not the...first," you froze, a few strands of teal brushing your cheek.

W-what is he doing? Y/n thought, still frozen as he angled over your neck. His lips brushed over the cut, followed by his tongue. You jumped from the sensation, his body over you and his hand keeping you down.

"X-Xiao, what are you doing?" you breathed as he continued to lick the wound. He had done the same when you had cut your hand, just what was going on in that pretty head of his?! "I'm cleaning your wounds," he answered as if it was the most normal thing. He moved to your cheek and licked the gash there as well. God damn, he's acting like a cat!

You tried to push him away, but his hand around your wrists kept you down. "I'm sure I-I can." You moaned, cutting yourself off. He stopped short, hovering over you as you cursed yourself. I shall die from embarrassment now, you thought, internally crying. The weight over you disappeared, your arms free as well.

You sat up to see Xiao sitting cross-legged in front of you. He held out a bowl of almond tofu, still steaming. "You should eat and regain your strength." You took the bowl in a daze. You took a bite and immediately relished the savorous taste. What happened mere seconds ago is gone from your mind.

"Mmm~, that sure hits the spot!" you exclaimed, beaming. Xiao smiled as he leaned back on his hand, his arm propped against his raised knee.

You finished half the bowl when he finally spoke. "Why have you been avoiding me?" You choked, pounding your chest.

"I...don't know what you're ugh. Talking about," you coughed out. "Since that incident, I haven't been able to see you until now." You nervously laughed as you looked away.

His brows scrunched together. "Even now, you don't meet my eye." His expression softened as he stared at the ground. "Did I...do something wrong?" he asked.

Something in your chest twisted at his voice sounding so broken.

You set the bowl down with a sigh. "It's not you, Xiao. It's just me." You smiled, your cheeks tinted pink. "I have a wild imagination, so it's not you." He seemed to straighten as if a weight was taken off his shoulders.

"I see."

You smiled, but a voice in the back of your head dimmed it. You ignored it as you lifted the bowl and held out a piece of the tofu. "You should eat too. Say ah~"

Xiao's face flushed red as he moved back. You chuckled, "What's wrong great Adeptus, protector of Liyue," you cooed, waving the fork around. "Don't tell me you're scared of eating from a human girl's hand?" you teased.

He composed himself, rising to the challenge. "As sharp-tongued as before," he said, taking a bite. You grinned as you continued to feed him.